Starter Relay options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Target30

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first posst, and I will introduce myself formally, but i'm hoping someone can help me out quickly. I have a small Danby Kegerator, that I am pretty sure the starter relay went bad on. When plugged in, i can feel the compressor has power, but after a few seconds, the overload kicks. The relay looks to have some meltage, so for $12 i figured it was worth a shot.

Anyhow, the relay part number is 644.33B, apparently it is not in stock and it will be 10-14 to get it. it is a pus hon type, with 2 holes to attach, and one wire attaches to it from the plug, the other wire attaches to the overload, which is a separate piece, both plug into the 3 prongs on the compressor.

Is there another relay i could use? i can crimp/make a connector if need be, but would like one that just plugs in if possible. I really dont know anything(yet) about refrigerators and compressors, however i am extremely mechanically inclined, have built motorcycles from the ground up, and can wire up a circuit board, if given enough information.

Help? i have a couple bags of ice in the kegerator trying to keep the beer cold!

Here is the PTC starter part that you need http://www.apwagner.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&zenid=ofvo13au58990o8kptuhfmifq1&products_id=1549232. This is the start relay used in most of the fractional HP compressor applications today, the relay design leaves a lot to be desired but it is quite cheap to make. The thermistor inside usually burns up from contact arcing during starts and leaves unit stopped and cycling on thermal protection after a couple years. The same part can be found at other part supply houses by using the "P6R8MD" part number in a search.

Thanks man, hopefully i can find one locally and get it back up and running again. i was told i can get a 3to1 relay thing to get it working, but i would rather something correct.

Do you happen to know how to wire the P6R8MD? I bought a used Haier keg fridge that needed to be repaired and didn't have a picture of it hooked up. I'm replacing the thermostat with a Ranco temperature controller. I know that the live wire goes to the overload protector which then powers the compressor, but there are two terminals labeled 2 and 3 on the P6R8MD. I assume neutral connects somewhere on this to complete the circuit, but I don't know too much about electronics/electrical stuff.

Any help or pictures would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

kolin

Back