Twist Top Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rferguson61

Reaction score
Gonna bottle my first batch soon...i have been saving bottles from the beer i drink (all of which are twist top) and read on the BYO site that you have to use non-twist top bottles. True?

Not entirely true, although certainly advisable.

I used twist-top bottles for my first 5 or 6 batches of brew and I had consistent carbonation throughout. I should mention that I used a bench capper, which in most cases provides a superior seal to that which can be achieved using a "wing" capper.

Depends where the bottles are from. Canadian bottles and some US bottles that are made to be recycled, used, washed and used again, tend to be quite a heavy bottle. These work good with cappers. I have three 5 gallon batches bottled with Canadian twist offs with no problems. You do have to be a little more careful when capping to be sure the capper is square to the bottle and even pressure is applied (BTW, I used a wing capper). American bottles that are made to be crushed and re molded after every use are thinner glass, and I would avoid these.

I avoid twistoffs, but sometimes I miss one and it slips through. I just had the last bottle from my second AG (June 2008) and it was a twistoff with no carbonation problems. So, I wouldn't recommend it, but it won't kill your beer.

I inadvertantly bottled with Lagunitas Twistoffs. Not only do they leak CO2 but when you open them, they sometimes break the neck off the bottle and get glass into the beer.

Back