How fast did you switch to AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1st batch included steeped grains.
2nd batch ditto.
3rd batch ditto.
4th batch mostly AG with added extract to make up for bad efficiency.
5th batch until now, all AG.

I don't see myself ever going to AG. I realize that it gives one more control over the final product and I do appreciate the efforts made by the guys and gals that do it! It just seems like it would take my casual, enjoyable, lightweight little hobby and turn it into more work than I want. My daily grind is already enough work and stress for me. LOL!

I brewed 6 batches or so before I switched. Of course, I typically brew every week so it wasn't that long. I think what it comes down to is.

1. Money for new equipement.
2. Do you really want to make a both a bigger time and money investment in the hobby.

I mean my extract beers were awesome. My all grain beers are awesome as well. Is there some magical omg thing with my all grains that wasn't in the extract not so much. I do say overall my beers with all grain are smoother and cleaner and they lack a little tang which was always present.

I like the alchemical process of turning grain into nectar of gods. For me thats what drives me to make beer. I honestly don't even drink that much. It is a rather spiritual process one which combines both science and art.

2nd batch. I only did one PM because it came with my kit. Occasionally, I will do a small extract batch (1-2 gallons) to experiment. I will not spend a 5-6 hour brew day on an off-the-wall experiment.

About 10 months: 8 extract batches, 7 partial mashes. I would have jumped sooner but the initial investment and bad back were holding me back a bit.

6 extract, 4 partial mashes, then AG since then. This was over the course of 4 months. Wished I had switched over sooner, but it took some time to accumulate the right equipment.

I like the alchemical process of turning grain into nectar of gods. For me thats what drives me to make beer. I honestly don't even drink that much. It is a rather spiritual process one which combines both science and art.

Took the words right out of my mouth! You are just lucky there wasn't any beer in there at the time though.:cross:

I'm at 30+ batches of extract with steeping grains. I love my beer, and my LHBS makes it too easy to go in and order a recipe from their recipe list. If I had been using canned extract, I would have already made the switch. I plan on doing it some day, but I'm in no hurry.

About 3 batches extract with steeping grains, 2 partial mash, and then AG (although I'll still do partial mash from time to time). Once I had done a partial mash, I kinda realized that doing a full mash really wasn't going to be a much bigger deal.

My 12th batch will be my first AG. I'm brewing #11 Tuesday. However, its also the first batch I've brewed in 10 years. If I recall my first steep was batch #4 - a red. Was pretty tasty.

First batch was partial mash and immediately went to AG after the first batch. So much better.

I'm going to end up with two batches before going AG..... Doing my second batch upcoming Saturday, but I can already tell that I'm only going to be satisfied with AG...

Started with all grain 10 gallon batches and this.
img144121.jpg

I have 5 batches of beer and 3 ciders down so it seems I got one more extract before I must switch to AG because that seems the point where most cross over and I don't want to fill left out here....

I just go to get the cash for the equipment....I guess I'll have to work more...I have some beer savings they are for brewpub dream, however if I can find the right stuff for my AG setup I can use it later with brewpub I assume....

Wonder if we can get one of the vendors on here to run a "Welcome to the world of All Grain" Kit Sale?

Just a thought I'd by a kit to do AG plus two Recipe Kits....Something like buy two AG Kits get a deal on AG equipment needed. Kit just needs to have what a basic Extract Equipment kit doesn't....

I'll switch someday, but I'm not in a hurry.
I'm happy with my process and my product.

Back