A Dumb Yeast Question From A Rookie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelob

Reaction score
I just made my first batch from a extract kit with dry yeast, and it turned out great. I was fermenting in like 2 hours. Im gonna start my nxt batch this week what is the advantage for liquid yeast ? will it change the taste?

The advantage for liquid yeast is that there are more varieties. Depending on what kind of beer you are making, a dry yeast will work just as well as its liquid cousin, but for a fraction of the price and with no starter.

I'm a newbie too, and learned from some of the advanced posters here that dry yeast doesn't require a starter, though many recommend rehydrating dry yeast (put it in warm, sterile water, let sit for 15 minutes, stir and let sit for 5-10 minutes) before pitching.
Some of the advanced guys believe that much liquid packs don't have enough yeast cells for OPTIMUM fermentation, but you still get good/ok fermentation with liquid. I'm going to wait on getting equipment to make starters, with the whole "stir plate/beakers/equipment" thing costing maybe $200, but I'll definitely go that way soon. I learned to pay attention to what temperature the yeast likes, and ensure my wort is at that temperature.
I don't have a fridge for fermenting/lagering yet, so I'm using the "swamp cooler" technique and have been able to keep my primary fermenter at a steady 68 degrees with very little effort. That's 10 degrees cooler than ambient room temp, and I'm not even using a fan. This is amazingly easy, effective, and free.
Also, highly recommend John Palmer's book "How to Brew". You must read this book at least twice.
Cheers

I started with liquid yeast and pretty much use it exclusively. What I have found is that making a starter as opposed to just pitching the vial makes a huge difference...faster, more vigorous fermentation which reduces risk of infection.

At first, I avoided making starters because it seemed like too much work. Turns out it is not. I use a 1 gallon glass jug and a closet, shaking the crap out of it every chance I get...no stir plate, beakers, or other stuff.

Usually I make the starter about 1.5-2 days prior to brew day when using a fresh vial, which is plenty of time to increase the yeast cell count. I end up pitching the whole thing, some folks decant/pour off the extra liquid but that's a preference thing. For one vial, I use about 1 cup of DME added to 3 quarts of H2O, then boil it down to 2 quarts...works great.

Don't fear the liquid...just make a simple starter!

Great info...thanks! this reminds me of the swamp cooler technique - nearly free, and works well. I'm going to my LHBS today to get ingredients for my 3rd batch, and will try this technique. Say, what about the lid for that glass jug? Do you put a fermenation lock on it? seal it?

Like everything else in homebrewing, making a starter that is simple and cheap and can absorb as much time and money as you want to put into it.

OP - Different types of yeast definitely change the flavor and there are many more liquid yeasts than dry. An example, you can get a dry yeast for American Wheat beers, but if you want a true hefeweizen, you must use a liquid yeast.

I'm going to wait on getting equipment to make starters, with the whole "stir plate/beakers/equipment" thing costing maybe $200, but I'll definitely go that way soon.
Cheers

Honestly, my "setup" cost 20 bucks for the flask, 3 bucks for the power supply for the stirplate, (old transformer bought at a surplus store), one free (broken) computer power supply that I gutted and reused the fan and case, one old hard drive that I gutted for the magnets, and one stir-bar for 10 bucks.

So 33 bucks all-in, and it's so worth it.

Because of the curved bottom on a growler, they work for shyte, IMHO. You need a flat bottomed something or other to make the rocking world go round.

Stirstarters.com guy is one of the vendors on here I think...also there's Derrin of Stirplates.com....also a vendor on here.

PS. Do not order from stir-plate.com (very similar name, but DIFFERENT than Derrin's Stirplates.com) .....that guy is a scumbag.

Say, what about the lid for that glass jug? Do you put a fermenation lock on it? seal it?

you can just put some foil over it, a napkin tied down, or a foam stopper. Starters perform better when they can get more oxygen, but you need some kind of covering to keep out fruit flies, evil wild yeasts, etc.

I'm a newbie too, and learned from some of the advanced posters here that dry yeast doesn't require a starter, though many recommend rehydrating dry yeast (put it in warm, sterile water, let sit for 15 minutes, stir and let sit for 5-10 minutes) before pitching.
Some of the advanced guys believe that much liquid packs don't have enough yeast cells for OPTIMUM fermentation, but you still get good/ok fermentation with liquid. I'm going to wait on getting equipment to make starters, with the whole "stir plate/beakers/equipment" thing costing maybe $200, but I'll definitely go that way soon. I learned to pay attention to what temperature the yeast likes, and ensure my wort is at that temperature.
I don't have a fridge for fermenting/lagering yet, so I'm using the "swamp cooler" technique and have been able to keep my primary fermenter at a steady 68 degrees with very little effort. That's 10 degrees cooler than ambient room temp, and I'm not even using a fan. This is amazingly easy, effective, and free.
Also, highly recommend John Palmer's book "How to Brew". You must read this book at least twice.
Cheers

all you really need is a 2litre soda bottle.Just swirl it around when ever you get a chance.The yeast WILL grow.It's just a mini fermentation.How often do you swirl you carboy/bucket?Those things are nice to have,but this method saves you the $200 and opens up a huge variety of yeasts that you are not using.Just my .02.

I use an airlock with just enough sanitized water to make it function. This allows for more vigorous shaking as well as possible storage in the fridge with out the fear of the starter sucking the airlock dry when it gets cold.

Also, I can remove the airlock to shake and introduce more oxygen that way.

Back