Fermentation has almost stopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89OctaneStang

Reaction score
I have a question on what it is I should do. This is my first batch of beer and the brewing process went great. I used the True Brew All Malt Pale Ale kit from my local Home Brew store. I started it the evening on 31 Aug and by morning time there was a decent amount of activity going on in my primary bucket. Yesterday evening, it slowed down quite a bit. Today, it has about 1 bubble every 20-30 seconds in the air lock. It is only two days in to the fermenting process and it should still be going good, I thought. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to just give the bucket a little swirl to get it going again?

Thanks! :mug:

You're about to get the "bubbles in the airlock is not an tell-all sign of fermentation" speech, I believe from Revvy (or does he do the dry yeast speech?). What he is also going to do is monitor the fermentation via the hydrometer readings, so hopefully you took a gravity reading prior to pitching the yeast.

The general consensus, as I've observed on this board, for your average brew seems to be to leave it in the primary for 2 to 4 weeks.

That sounds like a pretty typical fermentation, especially if it's warm. Generally, the warmer it is, the quicker it goes. (Warmer is not a good thing, so I am not encouraging you to warm it up- I'm just giving you an observation!).

I've had beers ferment out in 24 hours, and I've had some take a week or so. All of those are normal, but usually 2-3 days is the most typical.

Even after fermentation has slowed, the yeast are still busy. They clean up after themselves; after the fermentable sugar is gone, they then digest their own waste products. So, there is still some activity going on even if you don't see it.

You can bottle it in a week, but I'd recommend waiting about three weeks before bottling. It'll give a "cleaner", clearer, better tasting beer if you wait a bit before bottling.

Your fermentation is done if your specific gravity stays the same for 2 to 3 days in a row.

Give it a couple of weeks more. At that time take a reading, then take another reading two days later.

Ok. Sorry I didn't add those details. The BG was 1.048 and it started its fermentation at 72*. I just took another gravity reading and its at 1.022 at a temp of 69*. I also tasted the beer and it tastes fine. It has no astringent flavors. Its a nice copper color. So should I do anything right now or continue to let it sit?

Edit: Also, can I rack this in a day or so and let it sit in that fermenting bucket for a few weeks? Or do I need to leave it on the yeast cake for longer??

Leave it alone. For a couple of weeks at least.

It's not quite done. No need to check the gravity for another week or so. Then, you can rack if it's at the FG if you want to. It's fine where it is, though. Don't rack it if you're going to be moving it to a bucket. The bucket will have quite a bit of headspace, and isn't a great place for a clearing vessel.

Back