HLT Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjibbad

Reaction score
I want to build an electric HLT, but I am having trouble finding the heating element and wiring diagram to get it hooked up. Are there elements that come prewired?

You might find bucket heaters prewired but electric brew vessels at our small scale are a pure DIY seat of your pants endeavor. There are only two screws on the element, hot and neutral on a 120v or hot and hot on a 240v. You have to ground it via the threads or tap a ground screw into some metal that touches the threads. There are a lot of discussion threads on building electric vessels. Search.

Here is a good source for heating elements. Make sure you go with a low to extra low density element. There are only two conections, hot and neutral. You will need a PID controller, Temperature Sensor (RTD or Thermocouple) and Solid Sate Relay to control the heating element. It will cost you about $100 for the PID, Temp Sensor and SSR.

Electric water heater elements, thermostats and faq's - PlumbingSupply.com

I agree with Sawdust guy except that the density of the element is no consequence in the HLT because wort scorching wouldn't happen. I'd probably go high density because it's more compact.

I agree with Sawdust guy except that the density of the element is no consequence in the HLT because wort scorching wouldn't happen. I'd probably go high density because it's more compact.

Sun of a gun. You are absolutely right! Dam, I do this every time. I have to learn to read a little slower.

....You will need a PID controller, Temperature Sensor (RTD or Thermocouple) and Solid Sate Relay to control the heating element. It will cost you about $100 for the PID, Temp Sensor and SSR.

Electric water heater elements, thermostats and faq's - PlumbingSupply.com

...Or you don't need it.

I've got a 1500 watt element from HD (~$8.50) that will be controlled with a normal 110V switch on GFCI circuit, mounted on the end of a 1 1/4" brass/chrome drain pipe. This is all in a cooler with a stirrer, and an analog temperature gauge. Wait for water to hit desired temperature, turn switch off. Not as flexible as SSR+PID perhaps, but it is simple and cheap.

Well, OK you CAN manually control it with a switch and watch the temp but the big advantage of electric is the ability to automate to some degree. I'd at least put a simple on/off style temp controller on it so it holds a set temp. This takes a lot of mental load off the brewer.

I tried to stay out of this thread.

Get a 1500 or 1650W high watt density element.

Get a Johnson A419 temp controller.

You are done.

If you use a cooler, it will be much more eff. but I have seen SS HLTs with these elements.

Get a 1500 or 1650W high watt density element.

Get a Johnson A419 temp controller.

You are done.

If you use a cooler, it will be much more eff. but I have seen SS HLTs with these elements.

Where can I find these?? I tried lowes but all they had were the electric range elements. Yes it is going to be in a 10 gal gott cooler. and the A419 temp controler. I am still new at this DIY stuff.... thanks

Where can I find these?? I tried lowes but all they had were the electric range elements. Yes it is going to be in a 10 gal gott cooler. and the A419 temp controler. I am still new at this DIY stuff.... thanks

You are looking in the wrong isle. Lowes has replacement water heater elements, I assure you. You will have to look in the water heater/softener area. They have them, or you can find copious ammounts online.

Well I started the built today with a slight modification. Instead of a HLT perse I am putting a copper coil in the water tank and recirculating my wort in a kind of Ghetto RIMS system. The only part I am missing is the Pump which I have already ordered. I am haveing some trouble with the wiring though. I know that I need to wire the element to a hot wire (black) and a neutral wire (white) I have a light switch which I am going to use as an on/off for the element, and the wire I have is a 3 pronged plug with grounding. Do I need to ground the element or the wire box? I am going to epoxy the element into the bottom of the the cooler. What else do I need to know about the wiring?

DSC05359.jpg

DSC05360.jpg

DSC05361.jpg

DSC05362.jpg

DSC05363.jpg

DSC05364.jpg

DSC05365.jpg

DSC05366.jpg

DSC05367.jpg

The element should be installed w/ a nut and gasket. see link below.

Bargain Fittings

The element, and box should both be grounded. Some drill and tap the element base for a ground lug, others use a copper sheet washer w/ a tab for the ground attachment.

I don't think I would advise just using epoxy to mount the element. ymmv

ok so let me see if I get this right, If I tap the center of the element and place a stainless screw in there and attach a grounding wire with a ring cap, and connect that to my electrical box. Then connect the ground lead on my plug wire to the electrical box I should be alright. As for the fittings I will see if I can fenagle something. Am I getting this right?

Back