First Brew Results, Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wicked Daddy

Reaction score
I finished my first brew on Sunday. Everything went really well. I can't say enough about preparation and the educattion I have been receiving here. I did a full 5 gal boil with steeped grains and LME to make the AHBS Honey Brown Ale.

Question: The recipe calls for an 1.060 OG. I measured the wort at 78 degrees at 1.052, converted to the hydrometer's calibration should be 1.053. This seems low. However, I aerated the wort in the brew kettle after cooling but prior to measuring and prior to transferring. I wonder if this effected the OG?

Also, how do you get a hydromter into a carboy and back out? Fishing line maybe? I would need a very tall, very slim recepticle to sample wort/beer otherwise. Or, do you sample it while it's still in the thief?

The carboy went into my fermentation freezer w/controller at 4:30pm and by 10:00pm, the blow-off tube was bubbling in it's bucket of sani-water (I made a starter). This morning it has a good head of Krausen, the wort is churning and the bubbling is steady.

Question: I have the controller set at 70 degrees and the ambient temp seems to be steady at between 68 to 72. However, the temperature of the wort is steady at 77 degrees (tape style thermometer on carboy). Should I lower the temperature control to get the wort temp down? It seems too high.

Thanks!

I finished my first brew on Sunday. Everything went really well. I can't say enough about preparation and the educattion I have been receiving here. I did a full 5 gal boil with steeped grains and LME to make the AHBS Honey Brown Ale.

Question: The recipe calls for an 1.060 OG. I measured the wort at 78 degrees at 1.052, converted to the hydrometer's calibration should be 1.053. This seems low. However, I aerated the wort in the brew kettle after cooling but prior to measuring and prior to transferring. I wonder if this effected the OG?

Also, how do you get a hydromter into a carboy and back out? Fishing line maybe? I would need a very tall, very slim recepticle to sample wort/beer otherwise. Or, do you sample it while it's still in the thief?

The carboy went into my fermentation freezer w/controller at 4:30pm and by 10:00pm, the blow-off tube was bubbling in it's bucket of sani-water (I made a starter). This morning it has a good head of Krausen, the wort is churning and the bubbling is steady.

Question: I have the controller set at 70 degrees and the ambient temp seems to be steady at between 68 to 72. However, the temperature of the wort is steady at 77 degrees (tape style thermometer on carboy). Should I lower the temperature control to get the wort temp down? It seems too high.

Thanks!

You need to get that temp down, Fermentation creates heat. Use a wine thief for measuring with a carboy.

Are you sure you have only 5 gallons? If you have a bit over 5 gallons, this will effectively lower your OG...but you'll get more beer :mug:.

AHS sells a beer thief that you can stick a hydrometer into and measure it there. However, I use a turkey baster and graduated cylinder to take my hydro readings. Taking the readings out also means you get to sample your beer, and see what it tastes like :)

You are correct...this temperature is too high, and you should get it down below 75F. The easiest way is to drop the temp setting on your controller to 65-67F. This will result in a fermentation of 70-72F, since the fermentation produces heat.

I probbaly did have slightly over 5 gals before transferring.

I'll use my thief for testing and thanks for the confirmation on the temperature. I'm going home at lunch to drop the setting.

Latest posts

Back