Stone IPA Gravity Difference

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzno

Reaction score
So I brewed a Stone IPA clone 10 days ago and have some questions about my gravity readings. I got the recipe from an Article by Stone that had a number of their recipes in it. They stated that the OG should be 1.065 and the FG should be 1.012. I plugged the recipe into BeerSmith and it came up with an OG of 1.073 with a FG of 1.026. I followed BeerSmith on brew day and hit my OG but now after 10 days my gravity reading is 1.020. I'll take another reading in a couple days but I wanted to get some opinions on these differences and what I should do with my brew now. I want to transfer to a secondary this weekend for a dry hop but I want to make sure it's ready.

Here's the recipe if needed:

90 Boil
12.75 lbs of 2-row Pale Malt
14 oz of 15L Crystal Malt
(which I used 8oz of 10L & 8oz of 20L)
.43oz of Magnum Hops (90 mins)
.64oz of Perle Hops (90 mins)
2oz of Centennial Hops (15 mins)
1 tsp of Irish Moss (15 mins)
1oz of Centennial Hops (dry hop)
.5oz of Chinook Hops (dry hop)
White Labs WLP002

Mash at 149, (mine was 144 for 45 mins)
Did 2 sparges to get my 6.80 pre-boil volume.
BS said to get Pre-Boil gravity of 1.062 which I hit right on.
BS Post boil says 1.073, I got 1.072

Should I wait it out a bit longer?

This was my first all grain batch so I might just be being paranoid about it.

Thanks!

buzzno said:
So I brewed a Stone IPA clone 10 days ago and have some questions about my gravity readings. I got the recipe from an Article by Stone that had a number of their recipes in it. They stated that the OG should be 1.065 and the FG should be 1.012. I plugged the recipe into BeerSmith and it came up with an OG of 1.073 with a FG of 1.026. I followed BeerSmith on brew day and hit my OG but now after 10 days my gravity reading is 1.020. I'll take another reading in a couple days but I wanted to get some opinions on these differences and what I should do with my brew now. I want to transfer to a secondary this weekend for a dry hop but I want to make sure it's ready.

Here's the recipe if needed:

90 Boil
12.75 lbs of 2-row Pale Malt
14 oz of 15L Crystal Malt
(which I used 8oz of 10L & 8oz of 20L)
.43oz of Magnum Hops (90 mins)
.64oz of Perle Hops (90 mins)
2oz of Centennial Hops (15 mins)
1 tsp of Irish Moss (15 mins)
1oz of Centennial Hops (dry hop)
.5oz of Chinook Hops (dry hop)
White Labs WLP002

Mash at 149, (mine was 144 for 45 mins)
Did 2 sparges to get my 6.80 pre-boil volume.
BS said to get Pre-Boil gravity of 1.062 which I hit right on.
BS Post boil says 1.073, I got 1.072

Should I wait it out a bit longer?

This was my first all grain batch so I might just be being paranoid about it.

Thanks!

Its sounds stuck. Give your fermenter a gentle whirle. try and get them working again.

buzzno said:
Ok, I'll give that a try. So what do you think my FG should be?

I would want 1.015 at the highest. You could trying letting the beer warm a bit if you've been controlling the temps--that plus rousing the yeast can give a final push from the lil' fermenters!

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the actual beer in recent years used WLP007, which is a higher attenuator. Can anyone confirm? I know they wrote WLP002 in that article, but that is quite dated.

Other than that, I think it's all about the way you handle your yeast starter (size, vigor, nutrients, process) and the temperatures at which you ferment. Brewhouse efficiency will also differ between Homebrewer vs. Stone, so at best you'll get a fraternal twin...not so much a clone.

Yes, WLP007 is a higher attenuator and I believe Stone does use a yeast most similar to WLP007. It's possible that WLP002 is done although I would have expected it to go lower - like 1.015.

My last IPA with WLP002 went from 1.071 to 1.014.

So I swirled it and heated it up to about 77 and I'm getting some more activity in the airlock now. So I'm going to try and get the FG to around 1.018 or so but why do you think BS had it at 1.029?

In ever pay attention to my brew software's FG predictions. I don't think it has ever been correct (almost always way high).

Just a follow up. After I gave it a swirl and added some of the yeast starter from my other new batch I let is sit until last weekend when the FG was 1.016 with 3 days spread. I kegged it and it turned out fantastic! I'm glad I have you guys and your help and the patients to wait it out!

Thanks!

buzzno said:
Just a follow up. After I gave it a swirl and added some of the yeast starter from my other new batch I let is sit until last weekend when the FG was 1.016 with 3 days spread. I kegged it and it turned out fantastic! I'm glad I have you guys and your help and the patients to wait it out!

Thanks!

Thanks for following up! Every post with empirical info makes us all stronger brewers.

In ever pay attention to my brew software's FG predictions. I don't think it has ever been correct (almost always way high).

If you are using beersmith, you can edit the attenuation percentage of the yeast to correct this problem. Beersmith might assume 70% attenuation, but if you have used the particular yeast before and know you get 75%, you can change it. I had the same problem with the high FG predictions until I realized this. Just thought I would throw that out there if you weren't already aware of that feature...

If you are using beersmith, you can edit the attenuation percentage of the yeast to correct this problem. Beersmith might assume 70% attenuation, but if you have used the particular yeast before and know you get 75%, you can change it. I had the same problem with the high FG predictions until I realized this. Just thought I would throw that out there if you weren't already aware of that feature...

Great suggestion. I'm brewing a double batch this weekend of this same recipe (since the first one went too quick) and will plug the attenuation percentage into BeerSmith. I'm going to split the batch up and use two different yeasts though. One will be the WLP002 that I used the first time and one will be the WLP007 which was mentioned that Stone uses now. It will be interesting to see the results. I'll report back! :mug:

Sounds like a good plan. I'm sure they will both turn out great, but I'd be interested in how you think they both compare to stone ipa. I love a good stone ipa.

Back