Windows 7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried it? I just upgraded from windows vista. I was wasn't expecting much. I found that it is pretty awesome. Much sleeker and faster. I think it really is much better than vista. I can see with some of the features how a touchscreen would be cool.

I've been using it for quite a while. Originally on a 3.0 Ghz machine with 1.5 GB of RAM, which was just running the beta version, but I really enjoyed using it. Now, I have 7 on an Asus 1005HA netbook and it runs like a charm. My current size prevents me from taking advantage of 7's awesome dual screen abilities, but it still runs faster than XP on the exact same hardware.

I ran it under VirtualBox during the beta. It was okay. I didn't have the power to run it at its full potential, though.

I had both the beta and release candidate. I think it's great. I've had a few compatibility issues, but that's to be expected, and for the most part everything runs much more smoothly than with vista, and it seems, I'll go so far as to say, to be faster than xp. I like it a lot.

Love it... home networking works much much better. Really like the re-thought library idea. Very stable but I still have problems with Windows Explorer crashing for no good reason now-and-again.

I have been pushing the final release hard with the Adobe Production Suite, 3ds MAX and Maya. Only one crash, and it was a display driver issue: Windows handled the crash well!

Networking works nicely on the Pro version, too.

I like it!

Well there is a very easy fix to that. Don't use IE

Windows Explorer != Internet Explorer

I've run it off and on in Betas, RC, and RTM, and my opinion is pretty simple. It's Vista slimmed down with a face lift. Vista really got a bad wrap IMO, Win7 is MS's attempt to give it a fresh start.

Been using it for months and love it. It's so much faster than Vista.

Well there is a very easy fix to that. Don't use IE

Not internet explorer... windows explorer.

I have been using it for years it is called OSX...

My name is Steve Jobs and I thought of Windows 7.

I am happy that psystar got an accommodation out of Apple... their machines are MUCH faster than the equivalent Apple machines.

Meh--- I still like XP better. Some of the stuff that 7 does with buttons and icons annoys me.

Windows Explorer != Internet Explorer

I've run it off and on in Betas, RC, and RTM, and my opinion is pretty simple. It's Vista slimmed down with a face lift. Vista really got a bad wrap IMO, Win7 is MS's attempt to give it a fresh start.

Completely agree. Most of the people who had issues with Vista either never ran windows update, or are running hardware that the manufacturers never provided vista drivers for.

Its incredibly stable. That being said, 7 is definitely a little faster.

Honestly, I would scrap the Vista and reinstall 7 from scratch. The upgrade path from Vista to 7 is kind of messy, and I've noticed that some core things like UAC's work differently in an upgraded 7 than a clean 7 installation. (namely that a clean install you don't need to reboot if you change the UAC levels, but you do have to reboot if you upgraded from Vista...and Vista required a reboot too. I don't think everything upgrades cleanly).

that said I like windows 7 so far using it at work for testing purposes. I'll be putting the 64bit version my home pc soon so I can take advantage of the 4gb of memory that XP can't see.

That is what I did. Installed from scratch. It's nice not having extra software pre-installed when doing this. When I had vista I never used gadgets, it was slow even with all the updates. Though, the updates did help a lot. I have no problem running gadgets on 7.

No personal experience but this is the feedback I got from my IT Department as well. They weren't impressed with Windows 7 over vista. I never used Vista so wouldn't be able to compare.

You have to remember.. Windows 7 is just the start of their platform re-invention. Still coming are new mobile, server, and gaming platforms.

Win 7 Media Center rocks. Both my TVs get OTA HD via Win 7 and HDHomeRuns. With modern hardware I can record 2 channels and watch a 3rd. I don't use Win 7 for anything else, yet. It kind of sucks when the best machines in the house are used to watch TV...

I am holding out for the new CETON cable card, card. This new device will allow you to tune and record up to 4 HD channels at once without having to own a cable box. Windows 7 supports several digital rights and tuning standards that are popular with providers. For example, switched digital video.

Back