First attempt at formulating recipe - IIPA - Suggestions welcome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeF

Reaction score
Aiming for 1.080 to 90 OG and approximately 1:1 with the Bitter Units:Grav Units. If I'm off that's ok.

For a 10 gal. batch

Malts:
28 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Crystal 20
1 lb CaraPils
2 lb Honey (local) at 15 mins of boil

Hops
2 oz Warrior FWH
.5 oz Simcoe 30 min
.75 oz Amarillo 30 min
.5 oz Simcoe 15 min
.75 oz Amarillo 15 min
.5 oz Simcoe 5 min
.75 oz Amarillo 5 min
2 oz Cascade Dry hop

Mash 152F
60 minute boil

I usually have Munich but wanted to go lighter on the malt flavor this time. If I added Munich I would probably go with 0.5 lbs and drop an equivalent amount of honey. Maybe Crystal 40 would be a better choice.

Let me know what you think.

Lee

Looks like a solid recipe to me, but for my tastes in a DIPA I would double all of your hop additions (but then I think a DIPA would just scream hops). I would also add the honey either at flameout (safer) or in primary after the bulk of fermentation is complete (more honey aroma).

I might move the 30 minute to a 20 minute and in an IPA I like less color, so I go for a smaller Crystal # than a higher. Me personally

Thanks for the response. I increased the hops due to some off line recommendations. I thought the grain bill was lacking also.

I decided to go with:
27.5 lbs Maris Otter
1.5 lbs Crystal 40
1.5 lbs CaraPils
2 lbs Honey (flame out)
1.5 lbs Victory

2 oz Warrior 60 mins
.75 oz Simcoe and 1 oz Amarillo 30 mins
.75 oz Simcoe & 1 oz Amarillo 15 mins
.75 oz Simcoe & 1 oz Amarillo 5 mins
4 oz Cascade Dry

Matt Up North, I was originally going with Crystal 20 due to my prior IPA's being too malty. I think Crystal 20 and no Victory or other malt for that matter may have left the hops out there on their own. I decided to up the Crystal to 40 and may try to mash 150F for lower FG.

Thanks for the response. I increased the hops due to some off line recommendations. I thought the grain bill was lacking also.

I decided to go with:
27.5 lbs Maris Otter
1.5 lbs Crystal 40
1.5 lbs CaraPils
2 lbs Honey (flame out)
1.5 lbs Victory

2 oz Warrior 60 mins
.75 oz Simcoe and 1 oz Amarillo 30 mins
.75 oz Simcoe & 1 oz Amarillo 15 mins
.75 oz Simcoe & 1 oz Amarillo 5 mins
4 oz Cascade Dry

Matt Up North, I was originally going with Crystal 20 due to my prior IPA's being too malty. I think Crystal 20 and no Victory or other malt for that matter may have left the hops out there on their own. I decided to up the Crystal to 40 and may try to mash 150F for lower FG.

IMO 4 oz of Cascades dry-hopping is unnecessary. You can achieve the same thing with less.
Add that honey to the fermenter AFTER you have chilled the wort if you want any flavor from it at all. If you want to help your yeast out, add it after fermentation is off and going strong.

Latest posts

Back