help on first SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokenanchor

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a smash beer so I can understand different types of malts and hops a little better. Only problem is I'm still only into partial mash brewing, and won't be able to step up to AG in time. AHS has munich malt in LME form, so I was thinking about using that along with steeping some actual munich malt. I still have no idea what kind of hop would go well with this, or how much LME/base grain to use. I really want a damn drinkable beer, so any help would be great.

on second look though I noticed that the LME was actually 40% munich and 60% 2 row so I suppose it wouldn't be a legitimate SMaSh, but I think it would still give me a pretty good idea about the malt and hop flavor

Why can't you do all-grain yet? couldn't you do a smaller batch? check out my stove-top all-grain thread in my sig.

Vienna and Munich SMaSH brews are great...don't miss out because you think you're not ready!
:mug:

Listen to Death! He turned me on to doing 2.5 gal batches inside. I now have another modified version of AG brewing, but it can be done!

Well, you all have me convinced. I've been using a turkey fryer outside for all of my brews, but making the switch doesn't seem as intimidating after reading deaths easy all grain method. Now I'm just debating whether to buy another turkey fryer or just buy a big pot for the stove. Any help on which type of hops to use of which yeast would be great.

plus now that I plan on doing ag I suppose I could use any type of base grain I wanted. Now that I'm totally free'd up anyone have any favorite SMaSH recipes?

my vienna + northern brewer is honestly one of the best beers i've ever tasted.

10 lbs Vienna Malt
1 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min (8.0%AA)
1 oz Northern Brewer @ 20 min (8.0%AA)
1 oz Northern Brewer @ 5 min (8.0%AA)
Nottingham yeast

just cut everything but the yeast in half for a 2.5 gallon batch.

any hops will be great, tho...post some of your ideas if you want recommendations.

no matter what, i would go with a clean yeast if you really want to figure out the malt and hop profiles (like nottingham, US-05, WLP001 or something of the like)

oh, and i would go with a big pot (30+ qt) for your stove. it'll be the best investment you can make as it will ALWAYS be something you will use for 5 gallon batches.

Yeah I really don't want to go down to 2.5 gallon batches, because my friend and I brew for our household of 5 college guys, so we have trouble keeping up with brews as it is. I really am glad that you talked me into doing ag batches...might save me a few bucks. I really wanted to experiment with fuggle hops, but everyone seems to enjoy the hoppy beers, and with northern brewer at a higher AA I might just try your recipe. Any hop recommendations for the munich if I do decide to go that route?

my friend makes a mt. hood/belgian munich recipe that is to die for.

go with what you like. i like the woody flavor of northern brewer.

do you like soft? citrusy?

read the hops descriptions and see what sounds the best.

ok. here is where I get Creepy.

Do a Smash.
Munich and Mt. Hood hops.

Seriously.
You will drink this like water.

EDIT: D'oh didn't see DB's post. dur.

Hah, I'm sure the beer will be flowing constantly from the tap with either of these beers, so I might as well make a double batch. I just acquired 3 commercial kegs from a restaurant that was going out of business, and I was thinking about converting one of them into a mash tun...but I'm wondering if I do this will it work with only one propane burner, or should I just splurge and get another burner and another tank of propane? I'm definitely one of those people that takes something simple and makes it complicated just to increase the bad***ery factor, but I also don't want to go off the deep end

why in the world would you need two propane burners for one mash tun? if you want to set up a "brewstand" or have the ability to run to burners at once, sure...but if you're talking about using two burners on one mash tun, it's unnecessary. (i have 3 burners, btw :D)

I made an english-style SMaSH that repeatedly kicks my nards up into my throat. I used 10 lbs of Maris Otter, 1 oz Goldings at 60 min, and 1 oz Goldings at 5 min. I used the Safale S04 yeast. It was like the nectar of the beer gods' virginal daughter.

Nah I was just saying I wanted to get another burner to match up with the keggle I'm thinking about makin...which I probably will. Seems a hell of a lot easier to get another burner than haul a pot of hot water from the stove to the brew kettle outside...but maybe I really will get a couple extra burners I always did like playing with fire.

I don't know if I'd ever be a fan of balls in my throat, but I do love beer, so maybe I'll just have to make this a double brew weekend. If I can free up a couple carboys I'll be smashing all weekend.

get all three of the mash tuns converted, two of them with false bottoms. then buy an additional two burners. you with then have a stand-alone brew system with a hot liquor tank, a mash tun and a boiling kettle :D

EDIT: oh, and buy a pump and a bunch of hose. you won't have to lift any hot water ever again ;)

My ChallMO SMaSH in in the top 3 beers I've ever brewed.
10# Maris Otter mashed for 60min at 152
Challenger hops at 60min 30min 15min and Flameout.
Split the additions to get to about 30-35IBU.

Although I keg, this was best when bottle conditioned.

My ChallMO SMaSH in in the top 3 beers I've ever brewed.
10# Maris Otter mashed for 60min at 152
Challenger hops at 60min 30min 15min and Flameout.
Split the additions to get to about 30-35IBU.

Although I keg, this was best when bottle conditioned.
Looks great. Did you use S-04 for this?

I dropped by a couple places today, but the cheapest turkey fryer I could find was electric and 150 bucks...damn. On the brighter side I picked up a pump for 15 bucks...sweet no more playing with hot pots of water. As long as I find another brew kettle by this weekend I be doin a couple smashes. For sure deaths and another with marris and either fuggle or the EKGs...oh hell yeah for beer!

Back