Guinness Extra Stout Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddwill

Reaction score
So I have been researching clone recipes for Guinness Extra Stout, and obviously many of them call for the use of Nitrogen in bottling to give the head the typical guiness head.

How hard is this, how is this done? with a tap?
I heard something about a Nitrogen plate which I know nothing about

Is there any other way to do it, and if I just use priming sugar how will it turn out?

Thanks

guinness extra stout in bottles here in ireland doesnt use nitrogen, just brew it like a normal ale. only the newer guinness draught has that big creamy head from the nitrogen.

Just use you're priming sugar and bottle for the older extra stout but obviously if its the famous creamy head you're after then you will need a nitro setup.

also when you get into brewing with grains you can use malts such as carapils and wheat for better head retention but only nitrogen will give you that thick creamy guinness head

thanks for the reply,

any idea how much priming sugar for that sort of beer?

thanks for the reply,

any idea how much priming sugar for that sort of beer?

for my stouts I'm usually at 2.0 volumes of CO2. To know how much priming sugar to use you need to know how much beer you're gonna bottle and the residual CO2 that's in it (that's why you need the temperature of the beer before bottleling).
The Beer Recipator - Carbonation

Back