Can anyone recommend a good Dunkelweizen kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demaskee

Reaction score
I have a friend who has raved about this style of beer ever since getting back from Germany. I'd like to see if I can make this style and surprise him with a coupole of growlers full.

Has anyone made an extract Dunkelweizen with good results?

I just made a Brewer's Best kit. I messed up and lost the first hops, so I had to go buy some more and the local HBS didn't have the Hersbrucker (I think it was) and recommended Mt. Hood, which has about 10% AA rating where the Hersbrurcker only had about a 2% AA rating. Still, even after using a whole ounce for a 60 minute boil, I have to say the FG sample tasted delicious...not too hoppy (and I HATE hoppy beers! :D) It comes with LME, and supposedly Maltodextrin. I had mine for several months before I finally got around to brewing it and I didn't see any maltodextrin, so I got some at the local homebrew store. Again, it's a very tasty beer, and I recommend it. Here's the recipe You might try building that from fresh LME and other ingredients from your local homebrew store so you can have them as fresh as possible (considering LME is canned, and not really "fresh"...) :D

Thanks for the tips! I hadn't really given much thought to buying the ingredients seperately, it certainly has me intrigued.

Well, the advantage to getting everything from the local homebrew shop is that (hopefully) everything is fresher and you don't have to worry about old ingredients.

Back