Fermenting 2 Beers Simultaneously In Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCAg2002

Reaction score
Okay - kind of a noob question here, but I wanted to see how you guys do this.

I purchased a 7 CF chest freezer that I use as a fermentation chamber. I have a dual stage temperature controller as well, so I keep a constant temp for my beer. I can fit two fermentation vessels just fine.

I have a 6 gallon carboy as well as a 6 gallon bucket. The idea is to ferment two beers at the same time. Here's my question.

Since fermentation can be as much as 10* more than ambient temperature, how do you guys ferment two beers at the same time? I'll be monitoring one beer with the controller, but the other beer will be subject to ambient temps in the freezer. How do you guys schedule out the fermentation? Seems to me keeping the freezer cool enough for one vessel will potentially create temperature conflicts with the other one.

That make sense? :confused:

Ok now I'm confused. You have one freezer that you are putting two fermenters in?
As long as they are both ales you should be fine with putting the chamber ambient temperature at around 60. You can get the carboy strips for more exact readings but I've found that the I can get my two carboys to hover around 63-64 when both are actively fermenting in ambient temperature of 60.

Did I answer your question?

Yes, you did. I'm probably just making it way more complicated than I should.

Back