My LHBS closed, only 1 local store left

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So on my way back into town from a work trip I was going to swing by the closer of 2 homebrew stores for some US-05. I pull into the parking lot, and the building is dark and empty. There's a sign that says closed.

Now the owner/operator was a bit grouchy, but he did have better prices... so I dealt with it.

Just sad to see one go out. I haven't seen too many new stores come in or go out. Seems to be a tight market to cut a living in.

I wonder if there is an average LHBS per populous number out there. I'm pretty sure this valley could support a second store, just don't think I would want to take that on.

Have you checked out the Grange Co-Op. The one here has been expanding it's home brew supplies. I just bought a 6 gal carboy for about $5 less than I could find online. They have quite a bit of stuff, I would never have thought a feed/farm supply store would have home brew stuff. Nice, when I need something now.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't think the Grange carried anything at all. I have been either going to blackbird which has a small (everything is pre-packaged) supply, or Grains Beans & Things.

Are there any HBS's in Grants Pass?

Be glad you have a LHBS. When I am at home in KY the LHBS is almost 2 hours one way!
While I work in TN I am lucky to have one 45 miles away.

Be glad you have a LHBS. When I am at home in KY the LHBS is almost 2 hours one way!
While I work in TN I am lucky to have one 45 miles away.

The more homebrewing catches on, the more LHBS's there will be!
Except for shipping costs, and wait time (I hate to wait) the online suppliers are great. But sometime things don't ship well, just received an order with 3 kits, all liquid extract containers leaked, one pretty bad, Sticky shipping peanuts, what a mess!
I took a road trip 19 years ago that had me traveling thru the back roads of Kentucky, went thru towns like: Eighty Eight, Susie, Marrowbone, & Rabbit Hash. What a blast, friendly people :mug:

Wow, sounds like me and Trader Joe's.

But luckily we are getting one of those this summer!

You think it WILL happen this summer? Seems like they have been saying that for a couple of years:confused:
I haven't seen a LHBS in GP, but there is one listed in the phone book: Hermans Homebrew, 841 E. Pine st. Central Point. Way closer to you than me, unless that's the one that closed.
You have 2 Grange's in Medford, I haven't been to either one, but the one in GP had a small section last year, I went in this year, and it's expanded by about 30%. So demand must be rising :ban:

Lol, Hermans is the one that closed.

Oh and construction is underway for the TJ's. They are hoping to have the store open before summer.

I've been to both Grange's good store, even better if they start carrying grain!

Back