Sad Day, Dumped 5 Gal.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tharderocker

Reaction score
Hey All, Just wanted to get this sad day off my chest. I just had to dump 5 gallons of BeeCave Haus Pale Ale. The brew day was my first all grain "BIAB" and the day went like Hell. To start my FIL dropped the cut out part of the keggle in the pot just as it started to boil. Then we ran out of propane with 15 min left in the boil so we just threw the rest of the hops in and cooled it down. I did not know about the whirlpool so i had a lot of grainy material in the fermernter. fermented for 3 weeks and hit my FG, so I kegged it. Tasted grainy and because I ran out of propane it was about .030 of from SG so the abv was only like 3.5. Any way it was a sad day, but we tried the same batch again and hit all our numbers and has been fermenting fro about 4 weeks. So now that I dumped the first bad batch I have room for the good batch. :mug:

sucks when things end up that way. i've only had to dump one batch so far (knock on wood), but it was one of the hardest things to do. i needed the keg and the beer wasn't getting any better after months. sad day, but the keg got filled with an amazing beer, so it worked out. sorry about your loss, but at least the new batch should be good! :mug:

Three more and it will be easy, you won't even have to think too much...seriously! None of this is terribly difficult, you just have to do it a few times to get into a rhythm.

wait, so when you say grainy you mean disgusting? I'm confused because tasting grainy would not be a reason for me to dump a beer. I need more info as to why you dumped one of our fermented brethren.

I made a wheat pale ale with sorachi ace that was just nasty, I'm afraid to try that hop again, anyways I feel much better about dumping 5 gallons than drinking 5 gallons of bad beer.

I've only dumped 2 batches so far but I feel your pain! Sometimes, it just needs to be done...

It seems like you're already looking on the bright-side though: move over crap, here comes the gold!

Thanks for all the support! By grainy I mean a really sugarary grainy yeasty, disgusting I have not been experienced enough to describe it properly, and with the low Abv it was not worth chocking down. But it was unlike a regular malt profile, that I have here to fore come across. This bad batch had been sitting carbed since the beginning of November, and was not tasting any better than week 1. I just moved the Redo good batch over to the keg and just from the carboy it taste so much better, and yes dumping is much better than drinking the 5g of bad beer. even if I were to drink one a day to polish of the keg it would take along time. ( about 48 days)
Edit: looking over the off flavors web site I think the short boil with the pale malt bill lead to dms. A cooked canned corn profile.

Ya that sucks! I've been lucky with all of my batches so far, but I did mess up an octoberfest a couple years ago.

It was my first and last lager, and we missed all of our temps. Still choked most of it down, and after about 6 months we finally dumped about a gallon left in the keg.

Hopefully you learned from it, although it sounds more like bad luck than anything.

Back