Cascade Dishwasher soap ROCKS!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
WOW!! I love that stuff. No more carboy brushes, no more bottle brushes and no more peeling and scrubbing bottles of their lables. A month ago I was at a homebrewer's club and I heard the words "caustic soda" and having a background in the cricuit board industry I was thinking ultra strength/you can't get it at home depot crazy strong caustic soda. In reality they were chatting about the stuff you get online for cleaning beer stuff. Got to chatting some more with them and they introduced the CHEAPEST but very effective cleaner one could buy. Powdered dishwasher soap. They used chemical names and really knew what they were talking about so I thought what the heck. If it sorta worked I wouldn't have to scrub out my carboy. I put about 1/8 cup of it in the bottom of my very krausen caked carboy and filled with hot tap water. I let it sit out overnight and dumped it out...... I never thought cleaning a carboy could be so easy, IT WAS SPOTTLESS!!!!!! OMG!!!! I URGE everyone to give it a try. Instead of paying a small fortune for one step, oxyclean, etc... try Cascade dishwasher soap. I figured if it worked that well on my carboy what would it do to those bottles that i found outside safeway.. you know, the ones that you can just tell are going to be next to impossible to get clean. Got out a 5 gallon bucket, 12 fit in the bottom perfect btw, shook 1/4 cup of dishwasher soap in and on the bottles and filled up with hot water. The next day the lables literally fell off, THE TINFOIL PEELED OFF WITH LITTLE TO NO EFFORT!!! and the nasty ring of who knows what poured right out. A quick rinse off and they are ready for bottling. If there is any one product that I have found since I started brewing that has changed my life for the better it would be dishwasher soap.:rockin: :rockin:

This guy bought 2,000 shares in the company that makes Cascade!

You can go a bit lighter on the quantity for carboy cleaning, 2 tablespoons are more than enough to get the job done. If you are not sure the carboy is clean after rinseing put a little bit of household strength hydrogen peroxide in the carboy and swirl it around, if it fizzes you not done cleaning.

I just experienced this with Oxy Clean. Put in 2 tablespoons into my 6 gallon caked over Better Bottle and let it sit for about 5 hours. Dumped it out and it was clean as a whistle!

Wonder if the same company makes Cascade.

That should be our <21yo advice. When they ask if they can buyhops in the store, send them to the dishwashing aisle.

kladue said:
You can go a bit lighter on the quantity for carboy cleaning, 2 tablespoons are more than enough to get the job done. If you are not sure the carboy is clean after rinseing put a little bit of household strength hydrogen peroxide in the carboy and swirl it around, if it fizzes you not done cleaning.
Right on! I just can't believe how well it works. Havn't thrown out my brushes just yet but I just might not use them again... Maybe i'll hold onto them just in case....:mug:

Dishwashing liquid contains surfactant that might cause head retention problems later on. I would avoid it.

I wouldn't worry about it with glass carboys if you rinse well enough. A lot of the cheaper dishwashing detergents (store brands) don't have that in it.

Cascade actually advertises it's somewhat 'JetDry' qualities so you don't get waterspots. That is what you are talking about right?

mward said:
Dishwashing liquid contains surfactant that might cause head retention problems later on. I would avoid it.

I like the concern, but got thinking about this. My beer glasses come out of the dishwasher after being washed w/Cascade. I don't do any extra rinsing, and the head of my beer when poured from kegerator into glass is very creamy foamy and long lasting...
Extra rinsing would be wise if you go heavy on the cascade when cleaning your bottles, though, just to be sure.

Back