Double Infusion Batch Sparge on BeerSmith 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shot0rum247

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to using BeerSmith and am having some trouble setting up a double infusion batch sparge. I started with one of the pre-set double infusions and checked off the appropriate batch sparge options. I had to add more water to my mashout because of an error I got saying that calculated water addition would need to be at a temp above boiling...which isn't possible (anyone else have that happen to them?). However, my bigger issue is in the actual sparge step. I checked off to drain my mash tun, which I usually do before sparging regardless. On this particular batch BeerSmith is telling me to sparge with 1 step at 0.59 gal of 168 degree water. The next step is to add water to achieve the proper boil volume for my equipment.

First off, I was always in the habit of doing more than one sparge while batch sparging...why not do 2 to make sure I'm getting all my sugars out? Is there any way to add another sparge? My other issue is why the program wants me to sparge with such a small amount of water. I feel like if I followed the program's procedure I would be leaving behind a lot of good stuff that I could avoid by using more water or multiple sparges.

Obviously, the easiest way around this is to use more water than the recommended 0.59 gal and instead of just adding water to achieve my boil volume, put it through my MLT at 168 degrees for an extra sparge or 2.

Is there an easy fix for this problem? Am I missing something?

Back