Northern Brewer German Alt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgoehner

Reaction score
Hey all, I brewer the extract with specialty grains recipe on labor day and have kept the temps on the lower end of the range for the 1007 yeast (54-68) with maybe one day that it got close to 60 as I was at school and I forgot to ask my wife to check on it.

That being said, I am impressed with this yeast as I still have at least a 1.5-2.0 in. krausen in the fermenter.

I have only done one batch and have read the opinions on leaving beer in the primary only, but my question is this. Would it be worth it for this style to give it 2-3 weeks primary, rack to secondary and lager, (the container I use for bottling, but is the only one that would fit in my fridge that I can keep in the 33-36 range) for 2 weeks, then rack to another container to bottle?

I have time, at least a week maybe more, just trying to lay out my moves. I want to take this to a Halloween party on the 29th.

Brewed mine going on 3 weeks ago this friday. Going to keg it then. Blew the airlock clean off my 6 gallon better bottle. Wasn't expecting that. My temps got a bit over 70 unfortunately. Will see how it turned out soon! Need to throw a party to get some of the "summer" beers out of the way :)

I brewed the NB "Super Alt" this past Spring and basically followed the kit instructions as far as using a primary and secondary. The 1007 fermented this beer very well, and I put the whole batch in my basement fridge after it had been bottled and had a couple weeks at room temp to carb up. The main comment I have is that this beer has really improved after 4 months in the fridge. One month after bottling, I considered this a rather disappointing beer which I could drink myself, but not something I was very proud of and would never share with my beer snob friends. After approx. 4 months or so in the fridge, it is really an excellent beer that I am very proud of.

I brewed the NB "Super Alt" this past Spring and basically followed the kit instructions as far as using a primary and secondary. The 1007 fermented this beer very well, and I put the whole batch in my basement fridge after it had been bottled and had a couple weeks at room temp to carb up. The main comment I have is that this beer has really improved after 4 months in the fridge. One month after bottling, I considered this a rather disappointing beer which I could drink myself, but not something I was very proud of and would never share with my beer snob friends. After approx. 4 months or so in the fridge, it is really an excellent beer that I am very proud of.

Thanks for the response, I have never done a secondary, so I may give it a go once the krausen finally drops. It is still going so I will just let it do it's thing.

Back