Annexation RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Annexation (Imperial Stout)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.115 (°P): 27.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.029 (°P): 7.3
Alcohol (ABV): 11.30 %
Colour (SRM): 37.5 (EBC): 73.9
Bitterness (IBU): 77.9 (Average)

5.4kg Maris Otter Malt
300g Carapils (Dextrine)
150g Black Roasted Barley
150g Chocolate Malt

3 oz East Kent Golding (6.9% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 152°F for 60 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 68°F with Safale S-04(2 Packs)

A little over a month ago I came up with this rather simple recipe just to see where it went. I've just moved it over to secondary with an oak honeycomb soaked in Bourbon and obviously had a little taste of my hydro sample. As it sits right now, it's very smooth and flavourful, not quite as dark as I was aiming for but I'm pretty sure it's the best beer I've ever made. I plan to bulk age it until the end of August, and then bottle condition until my birthday in late November. I will update as I go.

I'm thinking I'm going to make this recipe this weekend, how did you like it?

Well I'm brewing this one today, hope it turns out to the specs this sounds really tasty! :D

Just about 10 months later and this beer has really become something tasty. Being the noob that I was I tried drinking it 1 and 2 months after brewing and it tasted really yeasty so I thought I messed up. I even poured a few bottles down the drain :( Now though the overly yeasty taste has completely faded leaving only delicious vanilla and roasted malt flavors shining through. It was the second beer I ever brewed and I only have one 1 liter left, but I plan on rebrewing this one again soon. I'll probably drink the last liter on the 1 year anniversary of brew day and I'm expecting it to be even better by then!

Give it a shot and be patient if you do, you'll be rewarded with an excellent brew. Thanks again for the recipe

Just finished brewing my second version of this beer. For this batch I added .35 lbs of flaked oats and 2/3 lb of lactose. I also went with 2 oz of EKG @ 60 min and 1 oz of Fuggles @ 30 min. O.G. was right on target 1.110. Pitched onto a S-04 slurry from my Arrogant Bastard clone. Plan is to let it sit for 1 month in primary then rack to secondary where I'll add 1.5 oz of bourbon soaked oak cubes. Will let that sit for another month and then on to bottling for long term storage. My plan is to crack the first of these bad boys around Memorial Day 2016. Can't wait!

And cracking the last bottle of the batch I originally made last year from the OP's recipe. This was the second beer I ever brewed and it has turned out pretty damned good if I don't say so myself :) The flavors have blended and mellowed into something I think any beer drinker would appreciate. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and happy brewing!:mug:

20151126_201350.jpg

Back