Mead newb doesn't measure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calebgk

Wishy-washy
Reaction score
Longtime brewer, first time meader maid. I made two 1 gallon batches tonight. I had a 7 lbs bottle of honey that I tried to split between the batches. One has oranges, the other just straight honey. My gravity is all over. The mead is 1.104. The melomel is 1.150. I just eyeballs the honey, I trying to go halvsies. Could the orange add that much to the gravity, or is it just my elastic ruler?

View attachment 89394

Unless you actually squeeze the oranges before adding them, they wouldn't add much. You just didn't divide very well. :eek:

I would also suggest getting blowoff tubes fitted into those suckers, tonight. Otherwise when you degas/aerate they'll spew all over the place. :eek:

What did you add for nutrients to these? Yeast used?
Even though making mead (you're on your way to being a mazer :D) isn't the same process as brewing beer, you still have certain things you'll want to do. Those are so that you get the best possible results when you finally get it to glass. I would advise using nutrient and a good amount of degas/aeration on the bottle with the 1.150 OG (~20% abv capability there).

I used 1/4 tsp energizer, 1/2 tsp nutrient, 1/2 pack EC-1118 per gallon. I pitched it all dry. Shook the heck outta them. You think its going to be violent?

I used 1/4 tsp energizer, 1/2 tsp nutrient, 1/2 pack EC-1118 per gallon. I pitched it all dry. Shook the heck outta them. You think its going to be violent?

Add that amount of both again. Normal dose is 1/2 tsp energizer and 1 tsp nutrient (Fermaid, etc.) per gallon. A full pack of yeast also works for 1 gallon batches. I would add another dose of both energizer and nutrient to the higher OG batch in 5-7 days. Swirl them to degas every day and then aerate. At least for the next few days on the lower OG batch, a few more days for the higher. With such little headspace, you're probably in for a mess. BTW, you typically do care and feeding of a mead until you hit the 1/3 break (point where 1/3 of the sugars have been consumed).

Before you decide to mix up another batch, review the content on the Got Mead forums. You'll find out the better ways to make mead there.

Thanks for the help. I'll send you a bottle to enjoy/kill plants with, depending on the final product. :mug:

Thanks for the help. I'll send you a bottle to enjoy/kill plants with, depending on the final product. :mug:

Where you at?? I have a few batches in bottles (running low on my 2010 traditional, so it stays home :D)... Bottled my maple not that long ago, have a blackberry that I need to try again (started in 2010, bottled 2011). Got more in process too. About to start a BIG one too. :eek: One to make you hide the kiddies. :D

Back