Giving up beer for Lent?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerod1

Reaction score
My priest (Episcopal) who is also a homebrewer says if you give up beer for Lent it is still okay to drink BMC, seeing as most of us don't consider them to be real beers. :D:mug:

He should be ashamed of himself.... Not only for the bud bashing jokes, but for the idea of giving up beer for lent....You're supposed to DRINK BEER for lent...

You give up food not beer.

Monks actually drank beer during Lent as a replacement for the meat they gave up!!!!

Heck there was even a style of beer brewed for lent.

"Doppelbock emerged in the late eighteenth century as a powerful lager variant of the old monastic strong beer, the monks' "liquid bread," which they traditionally brewed for the Lenten season. Living by the strict rules of their order, the monks were regularly required to castigate themselves by periodic bouts of fasting, when next to no solid food was allowed to pass their lips. The longest and most taxing of these periods of culinary abstinence was, of course, Lent, the 46 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday. Because the monks believed that liquids not only cleansed the body but also the soul, they would make plenty of liquid instead of solid bread from their grain, and then drink it in copious quantities...the more, the holier. Because the monks were society's role models in those religious times...as did the monks so did the common folk. The secular verson of the sacred strong bier was called a Bockbier.

The first Lenten strong beer was brewed by Paulaner monks at Cloister Neudeck ob der Au in Munich. The Paulaners had arrived in Munich from Italy in 1627. They began brewing beer for their own comsumption shortly thereafter—exactly when is not clear. Depending on which documents one can trust, the year was 1630, 1651 or 1670. The Paulaners felt, however, that such a strong brew with such delightful qualities might be just a bit too much of an indulgence for Lent. So they decided to ask the Holy Father in Rome for a special dispensation so that they could continued to brew it with a clear conscience. The Paulaners dispatched a cask of Lenten beer to Rome for the pope to try and to pass judgment. During its transport across the Alps and along the burning sun of Italy, unfortunately—or fortunately—the cask tossed and turned, and heated for several weeks—a classic condition for causing beer to turn sour and undrinkable. So when the Holy Father tasted the much-praised stuff from Munich, he found it (appropriately) disgusting. His decision: Because the brew was so vile, it was probably beneficial for the souls of the Munich monks to make and drink as much of it as they could. Therefore, he willingly gave the brewing of this new, allegedly rotten, beer style his blessing. Little did he know..."

From http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Doppelbock.html

Honestly there is no scriptural basis for giving up stuff for lent, it's a Catholic invention of control, and nothing that Jesus ever really spoke about, so I've always thought that folks who give stuff up for lent are sukas. :)

In my denomination we talk about giving up negative thoughts and ideas rather than earthly objects. (One of the things is um, whining and complaining about stuff. ;)

Man I'm glad I'm Lutheran :)

I was reading this great book on Arthur Guinness and his sprituality, called, "The Search for God and Guinness," and the introductory chapter covered the role of beer in early (pre-prohibition) times, and evidently old Martin Luther, quite like his beer.

“We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards. Strong beer is the milk of the old.”

— Martin Luther

During the summer of 1534 Luther and some of his friends twice visited the court at Dessau in order to give spiritual counsel to the sovereign Joachim of Anhalt, who at that time was seriously ill and was experiencing great spiritual struggles. During his second visit to Dessau Luther wrote this personal note to his wife. He tells first of the pending return of Melanchthon, and of the necessity for his own continued stay in Dessau. Then he informs his wife that “yesterday” he drank something which did not agree with him, and asks his wife to send him his whole wine-cellar and some of her homebrewed beer, because otherwise the beer at Dessau, to which he is not accustomed, would make him totally unable to return home. He concludes by commending his household to God.

To my kind, dear lord, Lady Catherine von Bora, Mrs. Doctor Luther, at Wittenberg

Grace and peace in Christ! Dear Sir Katie! I know of nothing to write to you since Master Philip, together with the others, is coming home. I have to remain here longer for the devout Sovereign’s sake. You might wonder how long I shall remain here, or how you might set me free. I think that Master Francis will set me free, just as I freed him—but not so soon.

Yesterday I drank something which did not agree with me, so that I had to sing: If I don’t drink well I have to suffer, and [yet] I do like to do it. I said to myself what good wine and beer I have at home, and also [what] a pretty lady or (should I say) lord. You would do well to ship the whole cellar full of my wine and a bottle of your beer to me here, as soon as you are able; otherwise I will not be able to return home because of the new beer.

With this I commend you to God, together with our young ones and all the members of our household. Amen.

July 29, 1534
The Man whom you Love
Martin Luther, Doctor

Revvy I love that post. I was raised Catholic, and I always found it funny we gave stuff up for lent and Jesus never specifically said so. So well...I never did. My SWMBO could explain this better then I, though. Master's degree in some theological doo-hickie. My degree is in theatre.

I won't give up anything I don't want to for any reason. Especially religion. I consider organized religion one of the greatest evils perpetrated. Crusades, Jihad, Inquisition etc.

Drink, eat, etc. what you want if it doesn't cause any problems with others physically not mentally.

I was reading this great book on Arthur Guinness and his sprituality, called, "The Search for God and Guinness," and the introductory chapter covered the role of beer in early (pre-prohibition) times, and evidently old Martin Luther, quite like his beer.

“We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards. Strong beer is the milk of the old.”

— Martin Luther

I still find it pretty cool that Lutheran ministers will drink beer at wedding receptions. At least the ones I have had do...lol. My brother is a Lutheran minister and I'm not sure if he ever drinks.

My best friend as a kid was Catholic and I always found it funny he had to give something up for Lent, he couldn't understand why I didn't....lol.

He should be ashamed of himself.... Not only for the bud bashing jokes, but for the idea of giving up beer for lent....You're supposed to DRINK BEER for lent...

You give up food not beer.

Monks actually drank beer during Lent as a replacement for the meat they gave up!!!!

Heck there was even a style of beer brewed for lent.

From http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Doppelbock.html

Honestly there is no scriptural basis for giving up stuff for lent, it's a Catholic invention of control, and nothing that Jesus ever really spoke about, so I've always thought that folks who give stuff up for lent are sukas. :)

In my denomination we talk about giving up negative thoughts and ideas rather than earthly objects. (One of the things is um, whining and complaining about stuff. ;)

Amen. But if you do give it up, you can still drink it on Sunday. Sundays are always feast days.

Actually, there is a scriptural basis for this... Jesus himself set the example and fasted for forty days (he gave up food). Catholics reflect this by fasting on the Fridays of Lent and practicing other means of fasting. Besides fasting, Catholics are also encouraged to spend time focusing on their spiritual life and performing good works. Unfortunately, too many Christians view fasting in a negative manner, when it is great exercise in teaching restraint and perseverance. It is a spiritual practice that has been in place for quite some time. Fasting is still taught as beneficial in the Catholic and the Orthodox Church, so it is hardly a Catholic "invention".

Both Revvy and Riffy are right. If I might be so obtuse as to elaborate and risk getting condemned to radical secularist hell for mentioning the G-word.

Beer isn't traditionally forsaken during Quadragesima (Lent) nor from Dominca Septugesima through Dominica Quinquagesima, which, this year, began on Feburary 5th and incidentally ends today, on February 19th. There is a funny couple of days between today and next Friday depending on your rite, which can be a complicated discussion in that the Church has 53-different rites to which the Faithful might belong, for a variety of reasons from ethnic to historic to geographical, or even do religious affiliation. The idea of the Pre-Lenten season is gradually adjust the flesh and the will to the change. Firstly, meats are forsaken and then cheeses and oils until what remains is principally grains, vegetables and roots. Sundays are never part of the Penetential Seasons because every Sunday is Easter Sunday. Even still, the practice for Sundays during these seasons is not to embark in gorging oneself, but avoid extreme practices and ascetical atheletics. Sundays are also days in which we intend to nourish the body and will with neccessary nutrients and also 'food for the journey'.

And so, (if I might re-state it) The reason why beer is not traditional forsaken during various penetential seasons, such as, the Pre-Lenten season, the Lenten season, Advent, and also for the season anticipating Martinmas (From September 11th to November 10th), is that it would be extreme. The idea is to forake some worldly pleasures, training the body and the will but not injure the body nor the will.

Beer provides for the nutrients that would be otherwise missing in abstaining from the foods forsaken traditionally olive oil, eggs, cheese, milks, and meats. It would ridiculous to obvious overdo the consumption of beer and we can see why there is a fresh-beer season ranging from mid-February to early-April. The beer isn't traditionally filtered or finings applied too heavily. The idea is manufacture a liquid bread where alcohol is for preservation of the product, and useful for eliminating the late-day headaches that come from fasting, often unbearably so. March beer is there for a reason. Likewise October beer is there for a reason, as I wrote above concerning the penitential season supplicating God to ward off furthur Islamic incursions into historically Christian lands. The Americans have a day we call Veterans' Day (aka Armistice Day). This day is Martinmas (November 11th). It is known as some as Thanksgiving Day. Somehow the Anglo-Americans bi-fricated the important day of the campaign season and shifted this to November 26th (or so) and sent the other day of election to November 2nd or 4th. Anyone wishing to know more can read about the Seige of Augsburg or the Battle of Lepanto, to start.

There are four other days of fasting and beer to my knowledge is not consumed during these days. These are what is called the Ember Days. They a total of 16-days (4-per season) to mark the change in seasons at the Equinoxi and Solstici, and also remind us that we have four seasons to our lives. The days are Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Thursday is a day of less abstinence nor is it a day fasting, but throughout the annual cycle Wednesdays are traditionally meatless in remembrance of the betrayal and Fridays are meatless (this is mandatory for all Catholics) in devotion to the Passion. Saturdays are traditionally meatless until solar noon-time. This is to remember that Easter Sunday begins at solar-noon on holy Saturday. This also helps explains to folks why the Dominical Sabbath (mar tsaba) begins before the calendar Sunday.

I think that's all I have energy to write about for now.

EDIT: One final note of interest. The practices and events elaborated above are not strictly for Marian-Eucharistic Christians; that is, Catholics, Orthodoxy, and also the various eastern churches whether in or out of communion with Rome or the various Patriarchial Sedes. Continential Lutherans (who often don't use the name Lutheran but go by rather other identifiers) also practice nearly to a T these things spoken of. There are some Calvinist communities that do fondly as well in that they are deeply historical and cultural.

Thanks for the great info.

I'll have you know that I just came from preaching and going out to the local brewpub around the corner from where we hold church, after with some friends. Motorcity Brewing Works home of Ghetto Blaster Mild. I'm kicking back now at home with their Farmhouse Saison.

I have seriously been considering it. I have joined myfitnesspal (username is kpr121 if anyone else is on there and wants to friend me) and am attempting to lose 30 lbs. Giving up beer for 40 days would go a long way towards this goal!

This may be a sign that I am a true beer-aholic but the biggest reason why I wont give it up for Lent is that Nugget Nectar is just now becoming available in my area. I wait all year for this beer, I am not waiting another 40 days while it loses its hoppy goodness! If only it would have came out on time, weeks ago, I wouldn’t be in this predicament.

I wonder if Jesus will mind if I put a Nugget Nectar clause in my Lenten sacrifice?

Back