Grain bed optimization & rice hulls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalpets

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it OK to add rice hulls to a non-wheat/high gravity mash to increase the minimal depth of a grain bed containing only malted barley grains?.

If it is Ok what is the recommended maximum ratio of hulls to grain?.

Thanks

You can add hulls to any brew though there not needed. There is no set ratio on adding them, I have used 1 # on a 10-14 # grain bill. However I have quit using them all together.

The grain bed depth is my real concern with my low grain bill v mash cooler size . I would have thought that if I add more than an an optimal amount of hulls I could end up creating a worse drainage problem than that that might result without them.

I have two cooler mash tuns (58 & 25 quart). For this partial mash I am using a 5.5lb grain bill.

Thanks for your help.

With the present grain bill and doing my calculations of water uptake I reckon I end up with a tad less than a 4" mash using a water/grain ratio of 3.25:1 In that event the 12" bazooka would only covered by approx a 3" mash. I will give your 1 lb recommendation a try.

Back