Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Lars, with a user name like that, you must have brewing buddies named Thor and Magnus, because that stand is totally medieval!:rockin:

Lars, great build. What do you still have to do to it? mount burners? or is it electric?
Thanks, all electric and lots to do still. Hope to have the first brew day by the end of the month

Hey Lars, with a user name like that, you must have brewing buddies named Thor and Magnus, because that stand is totally medieval!:rockin:
No Thor and Mag haven't shown up for a brew day yet. I was trying for the old factor cart look.

You guys make my head hurt! I have been reading this thread for three days now (and I am only on page 63) and am so homesick for my stove top stock pot. I have about two years more work to do here in Saudi Arabia before I can even have a beer! I now have way too many ideas to implement, I think I will needs to build one of each system just to free up some memory in my brain. HERMS, RIMS, CHEM.... beer beer beeeeer! My home is in White City, KS. and my name for my brewery is Wedrinkbeer KGB Inc..

I was thinking about making a three tier system that is sectioned. Meaning that I would build the single tier frame then add a semi-permanent two step frame that could be removable. This would be removed once I evolve to more of a RIMS. Like I stated, I am only on page 63 of this thread and I have 60 more to go. So I don't know if anyone has done this yet. Please let me know what you think of this idea. The step framing could be used for a two batch brew day after removing it from the main frame setup.

George

Old factory cart, I can see that, with the cast iron wheels. While brewing this summer during a 94 degree day, my rubber wheels left 1/2" dents in my driveway blacktop. My wife asked why there were holes in our driveway, of course I knew what they were from but played dumb. P.S. you are going to love that big DUDA chiller.

JesperX said:
Just finished the first brew day on my new setup. It's super basic but it's convenient, affordable, easy to move and gets the job done.

I'll be adding a pump for the HLT on the bottom before the next brew, the rest of it is all gravity fed. Broke it in with a nice American Brown Ale and hit all the targets pretty close, the FG was a little low because I thought I'd lose more to boil off with these new kettles but I guess I was wrong.

That is sweet- details?

My New baby

dscn2763y.jpg

dscn2762k.jpg

dscn2761m.jpg

dscn2760y.jpg

dscn2758f.jpg

SmokeHavel said:
Ok, I really really like the Tri-clamps. Is there that much of a difference using Tri's over QD's?

I prefer tri clover because they are super easy to use and clean and the don't leak. QD's (from what I hear) leak over time. The down side to tri clover is they are expensive. Every connection needs two ferrules a gasket and a clamp. And if you get Barbed ferrules The price only goes up. In my opinion they are worth ever penny.

Ok, I really really like the Tri-clamps. Is there that much of a difference using Tri's over QD's?

I prefer tri clover because they are super easy to use and clean and the don't leak. QD's (from what I hear) leak over time. The down side to tri clover is they are expensive. Every connection needs two ferrules a gasket and a clamp. And if you get Barbed ferrules The price only goes up. In my opinion they are worth ever penny.

They are easy to clean and if you have them actually welded to your kettle like the Sabco Kettles (see www.brewmagic.com), you don't ever have to worry about grime and gunk in the teflon tape used in standard threaded fittings. For cleaning I simply detach the fitting, run a brush through the port and viola, it's clean. Nasties can't hide anywhere.

Some guys install NPT/tri-clamp adapters to their kegs and such, but in those instances, I'm honestly not sure why. The whole purpose of the tri-clamp is to be sanitary. That's why they are often called sanitary fittings. But with the threads, teflon tape, etc. they are not sanitary. They do look nice though. It could be like SS said, mainly for leak proofing. It seems to me that unless you're installing in a truly sanitary setup, the added expense doesn't seem worth it.

Don't mean to derail. Maybe those with tri-clamp adapters could chime in if they have something I'm missing.

That is sweet- details?

The shelving is just some heavy duty adjustable chrome wire shelving I ordered from www.theshelvingstore.com. 4 x 44" posts, 2 x 34" posts, 6 x 4 inch swivel casters, and 3 x 24" square shelves. Came to about $225 after shipping and it comes with more clips than you'll probably ever need. The shelving is rated to 800 lbs evenly distributed so it doesn't even bow under the weight of an almost full 10 gallon rubbermaid mash tun.

Mash tun is your standard home depot cooler with a 1/2" stainless ball valve conversion kit. For lautering I made a CPVC manifold and connected it with a 1/2" threaded CPVC fitting:

7979759855_7592663835.jpg

7979759795_ec25d0af80.jpg

The kettles I picked up from Spike Brewing, they have a couple small dents here and there but nothing game breaking. They get the job done for a great price. Both kettles have two horizontal welded couplers. HLT has ball vave on one, T fitting with 6" probe thermometer and sight glass on the other. The BK has ball valve and just an elbow fitting with a sight glass. I picked up all the fittings, thermometer, and sight glass equipment from brew hardware. Once I get a pump, I'll use it to pump from the HLT on the bottom to the mash tun and I won't have to do any lifting other than to clean the mash tun when I'm done.

Burners are just your average banjo burner and I've got a separate propane tank for each, although you can limp by with just one if you really need to.

limulus said:
I've been trying to figure out what the source of the metal in this stand is. It looks like something I've seen many times and I can't put my finger on it. Enlighten me...please!

Unistrut. It's common with electrical panels and such.

image-2787461923.jpg

My gravity powered pilot brewery!
Direct fire mash work good!
I call it a jiffy pop mash tun.
Ceramic insulated under five layers heavy duty aluminum foil.
Search forum for lauter cane construction.

It is almost time to retire old blue it has made a lot of good beer…

But sometime change is good. This is a little early I hope the rest of the parts come in this week and start some test on it and maybe a brew this weekend.

img_20111106_151234-52393.jpg

2012-09-23_12-53-46_289.jpg

Blichmann kettles: 15/15/20
10" Banjo burners - 30 psi
Quick Disconnects everywhere
Stainless steel fittings throughout
March Pump Stainless Steel
75ft copper heat exchanger
15G plastic conical
Arctic Air 22cf upright ferm chamber with digital temp control (heat/cool)
Kenmore chest freezer with 6 cornies and 2 10lb CO2 tanks

NanoBrewery3.jpg

FirstBrew6.jpg

HEX.jpg

FirstBrew8.jpg

FirstBrew3.jpg

Nice setup, love the coil... you make that yourself?

The coil is from Northern Brewer, but I made the bracket to hold it. I needed to keep the coil centered in the volume of water and off the bottom of the HLT. It is also quite rigid, so I can connect/disconnect one-handed no problem.

I am still working on mine and planned on doing a build thread after i got a bit further on with it.. But here are some pics.

Starting to go up.

2012-09-26_22-58-09_968-56682.jpg

Starting to clean up some of the welds.

2012-09-27_14-47-53_89-56681.jpg

Paint and casters on.

2012-10-01_20-01-24_957-56680.jpg

Burner shields just sitting in place.

2012-10-01_20-01-35_126-56679.jpg

Another burner shield mounting pic. I welded a tab to the back of the frame to hold it from twisting.

2012-10-01_20-02-28_6041-56683.jpg

I hope to get a good amount of time this weekend and finish the trim work on the burners and start plumbing the gas.

I will take any input.

Cheers fellas.

Scott

The stand isn't stainless. Just the burner shields are. Its just standard 16 gauge 2 inch square stock. I am sure this is the nicest this thing will ever look.

BTW thanks to everyone that posted up in this thread. I stole little bits from all the stands I liked and and going to use alot of them in the final product.

Nice, 3 penrose kettles. I have one and love it. I was going to get 2 more in time to replace my keggles, but I guess that's not going to happen now.

Has anyone checked out globalindustrial.com for the wesco mini-winch stacker? It's pricey but it's the only thing I've found to lift those heavy carboys. Haven't bought yet.

Back