Quinoa mash schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvanLouis

Reaction score
Anyone have a good mash schedule for just quinoa? I ask because its super easy ro sprout and I hear it tastes buttery, which sounds good to me.

Quinoa has great extraction and a low gelantinization temp. Any normal range sacch rest will be fine for conversion. It tastes a bit grassy to me.

However, quinoa has a huge abundance of both insoluble and soluble proteins. Makes for an easily stuck sparge. Quinoa is also an "alkaline" grain. It might benefit from a full gambit of rests. Acid, protein, beta glucan, one at 140ish, and finally sacch. Might also consider a mashout.

I can't use anymore than 50% qunioa for my base malts. More and I risk a sticky mess. I used to use equal parts quinoa and millet. Also, a bit of buckwheat and flaked corn. Moved on to 90% millet since.

Its any interesting grain and gives the extraction wanted. I would be interested in some experiments.

Thanks! I'm doing a partial mash, supplementing with rice syrup solids, honey, malto, and a little homemade candi syrup. I'm doing biab so should I grind or just throw it in?

I found instructions on how to make malt extract. Has anyone tried to do this with gfree grains?

Back