quick DIY Stir plate and STC-1000 build electrical questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natewv

Reaction score
STIR PLATE: I have a 3A rheostat, simple 12 v light up toggle switch, 5VDC cell phone charger, 12VDC pc fan, female disconnects, magnets from Hard drive.

1) My fan has 4 wires, white red black blue in that order). Any ideas? Just assume Red is hot, black is ground, and go with that?

2) is the 5VDC wall wort ample enough power?

STC-1000 build:

1) I have an 18AWG power cord with ground from a computer. Can I use this for the fridge and heater or do I need a 14 or 12G or bigger?

18G is only 10A. I'm not trying to be cheap I'm fine with getting a 12 or 14G extension cord from home depot, but if I don't need to, I don't need to. Thanks!

Yes, red black. The other two are sensor wires to report rpms to the motherboard.

I went 12v... Less than half the voltage? Well... I dunno... I think others have done it.

18g... Should be fine, but I would go 14x3 ...

I went 12v... Less than half the voltage? Well... I dunno... I think others have done it.

I bought the 18G wire just to be safe, and a 6x6x4 box that should work perfect for the controller.

As for the 12V DC wall wort, holy hell what kind of cell phones do you people use? :) I have like 10 old and newer ones and not a single one provides more than 5V. The only thing I can find that outputs "12-19VDC" is an old laptop charger. That will work, right? Going to the cigar store for a cigar box on my way home from Max's Taphouse. These 100+ taps are a good way to catch up on my HBT (love living in Baltimore)! :mug:

wasn't a cell phone charger - just a wall-wart I had hanging around. I don't throw those things away - never know when they'll come in handy. . . :D

wasn't a cell phone charger - just a wall-wart I had hanging around. I don't throw those things away - never know when they'll come in handy. . . :D

I'd say you were crazy...until I decided to start making **** for brewing...

Back