Growing hops in Nashville

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cainepolo12

Reaction score
Hello all

I am fairly new to home brewing and am interested in growing some of my own hops next year. I have access to land as well as a greenhouse. With the humid climate here, which approach would you recommend? Thanks!

I would just grow them outside. Most varieties will do fine here. Mine took off like crazy down here in Spring Hill. Of course I then killed the bines by accident.

Outside in spot where there is some sun and not a lot of morning fog. Make sure you can get water to them, too. You'll do fine.

You definitely don't need the greenhouse. They will start plenty early for you.

Oter, what varieties are you growing? It seems to me like certain varieties do better than others. I use a lot of the four C's but would definitely like Fuggles, Saaz and others commonly used.

I have Nugget, Willamette, Fuggle, and Zeus. However, I cannot attest to their growth as I killed them about 2 months into the season. I didn't mix the soil correctly and they got saturated and then I tried to rectifiy it and got into the roots and they just stunted.

Latest posts

Back