Cold crash separation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris7687

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I cold crashed my Pale Ale on Monday, pulled it out of the fridge today to bottle some and keg the rest and found something a little odd. It seems that my beer has serpearted! Not sure what caused this or what the two layers are. My best guess is a very thing layer of beer on top and the rest is beer with yeasties still in it? What are ya'lls thoughts?

IMG_9729.jpg

- Chris

the top is starting to clear, but it's not all the way clear yet. Beer (and wine) clear from the top down. In winemaking, they even call that process "drop clear", as in "The wine will drop clear in cold temperatures".

Thanks Yooper. So should I leave it to keep clearing? Was hoping to bottle this to give out for Xmas gifts! Or could it clear in bottles w/o leaving to much gunk on the bottom?

Thanks Yooper. So should I leave it to keep clearing? Was hoping to bottle this to give out for Xmas gifts! Or could it clear in bottles w/o leaving to much gunk on the bottom?

My preference is to bottle only clear beer, but you could bottle it if you need to for gifts. Maybe another 48 hours in the cold would clear it more, though, and I'd try that first.

It was brewed about 3-4 weeks ago, can't remember exactly. It's my House Pale Ale, don't bother keeping to many numbers on it anymore. It was nice and clear, but then dry hopped for 6 days and cloudied it up a nice bit. Don't really have time to wait 2 more weeks. If it starts getting carbed now will it slow down the "drop clear"?

It was brewed about 3-4 weeks ago, can't remember exactly. It's my House Pale Ale, don't bother keeping to many numbers on it anymore. It was nice and clear, but then dry hopped for 6 days and cloudied it up a nice bit. Don't really have time to wait 2 more weeks. If it starts getting carbed now will it slow down the "drop clear"?

If you bottle now, you'll just have more stuff in the bottles. It's not a big deal, as long as your friends won't think poorly of it.

Yooper,
Had another issue with an IPA I just made. My beer was pretty clear prior to dry hopping, then after a week long cold crash I am still getting this serpation issue. It doesn't seperate any more then just a little bit. Anyone else ever have a problem like this? Is it because of BIAB?

image_zpsdce3fd6c.jpg

Chris - I seriously doubt BIAB has anything to do with it. I BIAB exclusively and have never noticed this issue.

I know this is an old thread, but it was recently reference in another thread. I have about 5 gallons of beer in a keg that looks almost exactly like the beer pictured. In addition to looking cloudy, etc., the flavors are all muddled, etc.

I know this is an old thread, but it was recently reference in another thread. I have about 5 gallons of beer in a keg that looks almost exactly like the beer pictured. In addition to looking cloudy, etc., the flavors are all muddled, etc.

if it is in a keg you can just get it cold 33-34 ° F and let it sit from three or four days and it will clear

the first one or two pints will be full of gunk but after that it should be clear

all the best

S_M

if it is in a keg you can just get it cold 33-34 ° F and let it sit from three or four days and it will clear

the first one or two pints will be full of gunk but after that it should be clear

all the best

S_M

brew_ny - That isn't always the solution to every haze problem. As you can see I already attempted this and still have the haze.

Try cold crashing the keg, if that doesn't work you could have the same problem as I did and many others. This problem hasn't yet to be resolved, but the culprits range from water pH to uncoverted starches and then some. I am going to bring this thread back to life after I figure it out.

brew_ny - That isn't always the solution to every haze problem. As you can see I already attempted this and still have the haze.

this is true I did not notice where the poster I replied to said he cold crashed, gelatin may help

but you are right many things can come into play with haze

he could have a wheat beer

all the best

S_M

Back