AHS Blue Moon Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veggiess

Reaction score
Does anyone know the exact ingredients of the extract kit? Thank you. (Did a search, didn't find it)

brewed a belgian WIT from my LHBS and it was 6 lb LME 1 lb DME, 1 Tbsp corriander, 1oz bitter orange peel. 1oz tett. hops. Pitched wlp 400 yeast.

It is in bottles now. Taste is good but a slight bitter after taste. Still very drinkable and this brew was my 1st!!!

Here's the AG version from AHS.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.0 %
3 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 30.0 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
0.50 oz Cascade [6.90%] (45 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.90%] (10 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.25 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.25 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) Yeast-Wheat

And it turned out GREAT!! Everyone who has tried it really liked it. I'll be making this again soon.

Ummm, sorry. I didn't realize this was in the extract forum until after I posted it. Anyway, there it is for anyone who wants to convert those base malts into an extract recipe.

Lil' Sparky said:
Ummm, sorry. I didn't realize this was in the extract forum until after I posted it. Anyway, there it is for anyone who wants to convert those base malts into an extract recipe.

I'm glad you posted I'm brewing this afternoon using that grain bill!

pa-in-utah said:
brewed a belgian WIT from my LHBS and it was 6 lb LME 1 lb DME, 1 Tbsp corriander, 1oz bitter orange peel. 1oz tett. hops. Pitched wlp 400 yeast.

It is in bottles now. Taste is good but a slight bitter after taste. Still very drinkable and this brew was my 1st!!!
What kind of LME and DME? Light? Thanks! I am making a batch for a gift and her favorite wit is Blue Moon.

Hey all

We just finished a keg of Belgian Wit that we brewed about 4 weeks ago, it was amazing! We actually happened to have some Blue Moon on hand to taste it against, and after drinking our brew I almost couldn't taste the blue moon at all, it was like carbonated water. Ours was full of flavor, nice body, good head, not bitter but still had hop character, prominant orange flavor with the notes of corriander, and was a little higher in ABV than we originally thought ;) 4 weeks of preparation and waiting, and four hours to drink every last drop :cross:

3 lbs light DME
2.5 lbs wheat DME
1 oz Hallertaur
1 oz Cascade
1 oz SWEET orange peel (lends to a smoother, less bitter beer)
.75 oz Corriander Seed (cracked)
Safale US 05 dry yeast (Not sure on this, but it was definately safale. We used wyeast liquid belgian wit yeast for the second batch, currently underway)

Yield: 5 gal
Boil Size: 2.5 gal
OG: 1.045 (we think it was probably higher)
FG: 1.012

.5 oz halltertaur @ 60 min, .5 oz hallertaur @ 45 min, .5 oz cascade @ 30 min, 1 oz orange peel and .75 oz corriander @ 15 min, .5 oz cascade @ 5 min. Dumped entire wort into primary with 2 gal of frozen spring water, topped off with room temp spring water, aerated and pitched rehydrated yeast when temp was down to approx 70. Primary for 1 week, secondary 2 weeks, keg 1 week, drunk in four hours ;)

mike

MLynchLtd said:
Hey all

We just finished a keg of Belgian Wit that we brewed about 4 weeks ago, it was amazing! We actually happened to have some Blue Moon on hand to taste it against, and after drinking our brew I almost couldn't taste the blue moon at all, it was like carbonated water. Ours was full of flavor, nice body, good head, not bitter but still had hop character, prominant orange flavor with the notes of corriander, and was a little higher in ABV than we originally thought ;) 4 weeks of preparation and waiting, and four hours to drink every last drop :cross:

3 lbs light DME
2.5 lbs wheat DME
1 oz Hallertaur
1 oz Cascade
Safale US 05 dry yeast (Not sure on this, but it was definately safale. We used wyeast liquid belgian wit yeast for the second batch, currently underway)

.5 oz halltertaur @ 60 min, .5 oz hallertaur @ 45 min, .5 oz cascade @ 30 min, 1 oz orange peel and .75 oz corriander @ 15 min, .5 oz cascade @ 5 min. Dumped entire wort into primary with 2 gal of frozen spring water, topped off with room temp spring water, aerated and pitched rehydrated yeast when temp was down to approx 70. Primary for 1 week, secondary 2 weeks, keg 1 week, drunk in four hours ;)

mike

Thanks, Mike, it sounds awesome. I think I'll give it a try. She appreciates good beer so I don't think it will be too flavorful for her. BTW, I am REALLY suprised by your yeast and that it turned out so well. I figured a belgian wit yeast was a given. I am not sure which one I will use since you had such good luck with the safale.

I brewed a Blue Moon Clone as per the recipe in my sig. Flyguy and I both think it has too much coriander. And maybe not enough orange flavor. Just my $0.02.

veggiess said:
Thanks, Mike, it sounds awesome. I think I'll give it a try. She appreciates good beer so I don't think it will be too flavorful for her. BTW, I am REALLY suprised by your yeast and that it turned out so well. I figured a belgian wit yeast was a given. I am not sure which one I will use since you had such good luck with the safale.

Yeah, the safale was simply inexperiance and inebriation during brewing, so don't hold that as sacred. We brewed up another batch of the stuff with some tweeks to the recipe that same day, and used a smack pack of wyeast belgian wit yeast. We'll see how it goes :)

thanks for the positive responces BTW!

cheers
mike

MLynchLtd said:
Hey all

3 lbs light DME
2.5 lbs wheat DME
1 oz Hallertaur
1 oz Cascade

mike

Back to this, again. :D Does anyone know the IBU of this recipe? Seems a little high for the style but I don't have a program to calculate it. Thanks!

Using pellet hops, an American Hallertaur with an alpha of 4.0, Promash calculated 21.8. I substituted Liberty pellets (Alpha 3.8) for the Hallataur and ProMash calculated the IBU at 17.7. Other Halletauers (Mittelfruh and Tradition both have higher alphas) Range for the type is between 10 and 20. I also wanted to try a more floral taste.

veggiess said:

T-58 in my last wheat and it was excellent.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_21_77_157_402&products_id=262

A specialty ale yeast selected for its estery, somewhat peppery and spicy flavor. It is an good choice for wheat and Belgian-style beers. This yeast forms a solid sediment at the end of secondary fermentation, and is therefore widely used for bottle and cask conditioning. It has excellent performance in beers with alcohol content up to 8.5%, but is able to tolerate high alcohol conditions up to 11.5%.

* Flocculation: Medium
* Attenuation: High
* Ideal Fermentation Temperature: 59-75 F

Thanks MLynchLtd :mug:

We brewed this about a month and a half ago and named it Moondust.

We used a single pack of Munton's dry yeast for a neutral flavor (see other changes we made in my previous post).

I thought you might like to see how your recipe turned out..... :)

OG: 1.047 FG: 1.012 ABV: 4.60

Here are my comments:
Color:
At bottling: Gorgeous tan color still very dusky.
Currently: Very pretty light tan to almost golden

Clarity:
Pretty cloudy at bottling..
7/7/07 still slightly cloudy but actually clearer than the usual full wheat.

Head:
7/7/07 No head to speak of decent carbonation
7/21/07 Decent head, low retention.

Flavor:
7/7/07 really nice light orange aftertaste still a bit hoppy
7/15/07 Good bite, and great aftertaste

Mouthfeel:
7/07 slightly thinner than a standard wheat
7/21 no change

Prognosis:
So far the older this gets, the better it gets.

Future plans are to increase the orange peel by about 1/2 ounce or to use fresh orange zest. Next brew I will use either use White Labs Hefe liquid yeast for a more fruity flavor or possibly WL American Ale if I decide that I like the neutrality. The Munton's worked but, I just think it could have been better.

Thanks Again!!!:tank:

My Blue Moon clone turned out excellent. Tons of head, just a tiny bit too much coriander and could use more orange maybe. It was a bit overpowering at first, but it mellowed with age. It was a big hit with several of my friends, who gladly drank it before commercial beers. I have only a few bottles left.

Search my posts for the brewing details.

MLynchLtd said:
Hey all

3 lbs light DME
2.5 lbs wheat DME
1 oz Hallertaur
1 oz Cascade

mike

I brewed a batch based on this recipe at the beginning of June -- a couple days after the second full moon in May, i.e., a blue moon.

It turned out great... I took a 3 gal keg at four weeks to a birthday party and it was a great success -- everybody loved it. My buddy griped about the use of American hops in a Belgian Wit but he did not complain once he tasted it.

At first the orange peel was really strong but after conditioning it has really balanced nicely.

6 lbs. DME White Wheat 60% / Light Malt Extract 40%
1.5 lbs. Flaked Wheat

1 oz. Willamette (Whole, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
0.50 oz. Willamette (Whole, 5.00 %AA) boiled 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 5 min.
0.5 oz. Sweet Orange Peel (15 minutes)
0.5 oz. Sweet Orange Peel (1 minute)
0.5 oz. Bitter Orange Peel (15 minutes)
0.5 oz. Bitter Orange Peel (1 minute)

1 tbsp Crushed Coriander Seeds in the last 15 minutes of the boil.
1 tbsp Crushed Coriander Seeds in the last minute of the boil.

Yeast : WYeast 3944 Belgian Witbier

Put wheat flakes into a grain bag. Add 5 gal. of water and bring temperature to 155° F. Turn off heat and let oats steep for 30 min. Remove bag and drain completely. Stir in malt extract and bring to a boil. Total boil is 60 min.

One week in primary, two in secondary.

Chris

I highly suggest the Belgian White kit from AHS. It is really good and has more flavor than Blue Moon (which I like also) and is a more traditional belgian. It is a favorite on my block.:mug:

I just recieved my AHS Blue Moon Clone along with my AHS Kolsch yesterday. I'm looking forward to brewing this weekend! Maybe two batches in one weekend, I don't kow. :eek:

DeathBrewer said:
i need to try some of these AHS kits. they're always getting great reviews from everyone here on HBT :)

I have to agree with you. "All of the cool kids are doing it" ... I want to be cool

clicks over to AHB.com.....

[in mr. burns voice]excellent[/in mr. burns voice]

MLynchLtd said:
3 lbs light DME
2.5 lbs wheat DME
1 oz Hallertaur
1 oz Cascade

mike

So there is no grains whatsoever in this recipe?

Lil' Sparky said:
Here's the AG version from AHS.

5 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.0 %
3 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 30.0 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
0.50 oz Cascade [6.90%] (45 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.90%] (10 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.25 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.25 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) Yeast-Wheat

And it turned out GREAT!! Everyone who has tried it really liked it. I'll be making this again soon.

whats the difference between sweet and bitter orange peel?

scinerd3000 said:
whats the difference between sweet and bitter orange peel?

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=469
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=467

Orange Peel (Bitter)

Aurantium amarae pericarpium
Also known as Curaçau orange peel, these dried peels are one of the most popular specialty herbs on the market. They are used commercially by domestic brewers to duplicate the beer styles that put Belgium on the brewing map. While not very bitter, these peels are a key ingredient in Belgian-style white beers and are usually used with coriander.

Orange Peel (Sweet)

Aurantium dulcis pericarpium
Taken from a foreign cousin to the Florida orange, this sweet variety will not give beer a metallic taste like the domestic version. Imagine the taste of Cointreau or Grand Marnier. That is the flavor that sweet orange peel will add to Belgian-style strong ales and special holiday brews.

Has anyone been able to find the EXACT AHS extract Blue Moon clone recipe? I could have sworn I've run across it here but for the life of me I can't find it! I know that the extract recipes in this one are incorrect because I just brewed it, but I misplaced the instruction sheet. PLEASE SOMEONE! Haha.

Thank you, but yes, I am looking for the extract recipe exactly as AHS sells it. IIRC, if you purchase everything separately, it's cheaper than buying the kit.

Found it wahooo
The Recipe:

AHS Blue Moon Clone
Witbier

Type: Partial Mash
Date: 7/21/2008
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.08 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0

Ingredients:

5.00 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 55.6 %
1.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 11.1 %
1.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 11.1 %
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 5.6 %
0.50 oz Ahtanum [6.00%] (60 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
0.50 oz Ahtanum [6.00%] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) [Starter 750 ml] Yeast-Wheat

Thank you, but yes, I am looking for the extract recipe exactly as AHS sells it. IIRC, if you purchase everything separately, it's cheaper than buying the kit.

Just did some quick searching at austinhomebrew, found that the individual ingredients for this extract add up to over $32; meanwhile the extract kit is $29.99, including priming sugar. And of course the all-grain version is another $5 cheaper...

Latest posts

Back