Chocolate malt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treaves

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for 4 oz in an 11 gallon batch. Is that just for color, or taste too? The reason I ask is that it also calls for 20L and 40L crystal, and if the chocolate is just for color I can substitute the 60 L I have on hand.

A little bit of chocolate malt goes a long way. You'll get some flavor from it. I wouldn't replace with crystal...it's different.

Chocolate malt is a roasted malt, where crystal varieties are at least not roasted 'as much'.

So with chocolate malt you get the color but you also get a nice smooth sort of smoked chocolate taste. I quite like it in a variety of beers now. It does go a ways though, most I've ever used in a 5g batch was .5lb I think. Maybe 1lb is fine at the most?

Chocolate malt has different characteristics than crystal malt, I wouldn't substitute it if you really want to get a sense of the recipe you're brewing.

Back