wyeast 3068 flat..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2brew1cup

Reaction score
I made a dunkel using wyeast 3068 and theres no kaursen.. Just a few bubbles and some foam. Not vigorous at all for first 24hrs. Has anyone used this strain and has advice?

underground and under the influence

This strain can at times take a bit longer than usual to start getting really active. Don't worry about it, within the next day or so you should see a stark difference with a good amount of activity. If not report back. What was the age of the yeast btw? I've found if it's over a month old it takes a little longer to start than if it's a month old or younger. Anyhow, relax and give it another day or two.

Rev.

Like Rev says, give it some time and also give it a gravity reading after 3 days or so, then again the next day! If the gravity changes (gets lower) then the yeasties are workin'.

Lag times can take up to 72 hours! Read the sticky at the top of this section!

Ok so. Its its now 4 days since pitching... No activity. Not even gases in airlock.. The yeast was purchased from a reputable dealer and should be fine. Here are so images.. What could be going on?

ForumRunner_20111005_072643.jpg

ForumRunner_20111005_072654.jpg

Did the smack pack swell? I brewed on Sunday and pitched a 1.5 liter starter and had high kreuzen in 6 hours.

The pack did swell. I was filled with gas. I made a small starter and pitched it. Nothing is happing.. Should i just make a new starter and repitch?

That depends, did you take a gravity reading as suggested above? If there's no change from og you may need to repitch.

That yeast can be finished fermenting in 4 days.

What was the temp of the wort when you pitched the yeast?

the OG was 1.052. The temp at pitching was 76 degrees F. I will take a gravity reading now and get back to you..

That's kinda crazy. When you made your starter, what did you use? DME? If so when you heated it did you add the yeast to it at too high a temp? You might have shocked the yeast?

However it seems you know what your doing so I doubt you did that. Take the gravities and repitch if necessary.

If the pack swelled, and if you made a starter, then you say that the yeast is viable. Unless your wort was over 100 degree when you pitched yeast there's no reason the yeast wouldn't take off. It can't spotaneously decide to commit suicide between the starter vessel and the fermenter.

Airlocks and even krausen are poor indication of fermentation activity, take your gravity reading and you'll know for sure what's happening.

If you looks at this picture, there IS a rim of what looks to me like the remnants of krausen ringing just above the surface of the beer.

35279d1317814008-wyeast-3068-flat-forumrunner_20111005_072643.jpg

That ring leads me to believe you had a fast fermentation and the krausen fell quick.

Whhhat surprising data. My gravity is at 1.021. Theres still a lot of praticulate floating around. But i was ready to get my OG again. I guess something had been going on. Just nothing very vigorous.

Looks that way. I've had a krausen form and fall overnight. I never saw it, only the remnants that were left. A gravity reading will tell us everything we need to know. My money is on a quick fermentation.

But a gravity of 1.021 shouldnt be my final. Yet im read fermentation may be over?

Well it's obviously started. Those last points can take a while to drop off, so sit back, and RDWHAHB. If the timeline of the thread is representative of the actual process, it is way less than 24 hrs since pitching? Something like 18? Ya, give it some time.

And with regards to my last post: I should have said "quick krausen" instead of "quick fermentation," as that is obviously not finished yet.

I used the same 3068 smack pack and within 16 hours I had foam coming out of the blow off for the next 24 hours. In a weeks time, the gravity went from 1.047 to 1.009. What is your fermentation temp?

Its been 4 days since pitching. And a constant 75 degrees.

I leave my hefe's in the primary typically 2 weeks so just give it time and don't worry about it.

Rev.

Back