Home Improvement Tip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alemonkey

Reaction score
If you take the filter out of your shop vac in order to use it to clean up standing water, always remember to put it back in before you use it to clean up drywall dust.

Maybe SWMBO won't the coating of white stuff all over the house.

alemonkey said:
If you take the filter out of your shop vac in order to use it to clean up standing water, always remember to put it back in before you use it to clean up drywall dust.

Maybe SWMBO won't the coating of white stuff all over the house.

She don't mind
She don't mind
She don't mind.....
Cocaine.

Two things I hate.

Drywall
Drywall dust

I would prefer to do hundreds of other projects over drywall any day. On the other side of the coin, I hate tearing it down too. It sucks. One thing I found is it is easier to just chunk it up into small pieces as it fits nicely into trash bags that way. Less clean up in the end.

I finally did wise up and bought a good cartridge respirator. I have exposed myself to so much crap already in my life I figured it was time to stop playing around.

zoebisch01 said:
Two things I hate.

Drywall
Drywall dust

Amen my brother.

My winter project has been completely gutting and remodelling my daughter's bathroom. I've done it all myself, but the one job I hired out was drywalling. I hate that job, plus mudding & taping is one job that always looks amateurish to me when done by an amatuer.

(I actually might have hung the drywall myself and just paid someone to do themud+tape, but I couldn't find anyone to do it on those terms.)

cweston said:
I've done it all myself, but the one job I hired out was drywalling. I

Yeah I hear ya. If I ever had a significant amount to do, I'd definitely have the mudding contracted out as well. The drywall isn't nearly as bad as the finish work. And the trick is, they do it so well there really isn't much finishing to be done when they are through. An expert mud man will hardly sand.

david_42 said:
I'd rather turn compost in the snow than do anything with drywall.

Lol. My compost is just a frozen big pile now. I finished off at least 3 hot piles last year though. Gosh this is making me want to garden now....

I have a stairwell leading down to my basement that has gone unpainted for over 8 months.

I patched the nail pops, and other ruff spots in the drywall and haven't touched it since. The concept of sanding everything down and vacuuming just to paint has been a total turn off.

Besided, I've kind of gotten used to its' "blotchy" look. I tell SWMBO it's a new take on shabby chic.

And, no, she isn't amused.

Ize

Our addition is finally ready to paint, all that is left is cleaning up the drywall dust. It's funny that while I've been dreading this part, other HBT's are in the same boat.

We should be finished painting and have the carpet down by St. Patty's day. :mug:

My problem is that I'm too cheap to hire someone. I did my basement myself and it looks pretty good. Now it's on to the bathroom....

*shrug* Usually if you spend some time at a blue collar bar around happy hour you can find a junior member of a drywall crew who will do the work on an weekend for a case of beer and a few bucks.

Hell-- a buddy of mine once hired 4 of them one weekend to tape and mud the entire basement.

I don't mind the drywall hanging much. I hate the tape and mud process. Hanging drywall is... satisfying. It's hard work coupled with some brain noodling as you try to figure out how best to cover the surfaces with the fewest weird cuts or bad seams.

Back