Wife wants lacto in the house, should I be scared?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
So after years of brewing and discussing with my wife all types of beer and what ferments them today she decided she wants to make kimchi at home. The first thing that comes to my mind is "cool, what ferments it?" So I search and just as I suspected, all the cool bugs that make sour beers and some that make some not so great beers. She's a microbiologist and scoffs when I mention lacto because it grows in a pretty cool place naturally on the female body:rockin:. She just mixed it up and has it semi-sealed for the two-day fermentation process. I told her that it was to be nowhere near the brewery. It's pretty far away but the thought of it around kind of freaks me a bit. I don't do the bugs. I don't mind a little brett in the commercial examples I've had but the sours just aren't my thing.

I'm good about sanitation, always have been and the one infected batch I've produced was from a failed attempt at open fermentation. It did make some fine nail polish remover though:cross:.

Should I be worried? I mean, are these bugs (lacto, pedio, strepp, etc. It's quite the pool in kimchi) prevalent anyway and the star-san kills it or is this stuff something I should sneak into the kitchen after Monday Night Football and dump outside? Don't think I would but it could be a cool experiment in marital relations:ban:.

Maybe a poll?

Right well it's not gonna change anything for me, I just think about things in the back of my mind. It actually kinda makes me laugh because of the way she's always reacted to discussions of lacto fermentation. To her it's kind of taboo due to where it grows on a lady. She's said she could get a pure culture from herself if I was ever inclined to make a lacto. The idea is beautiful but I don't like the stlye and she wouldn't drink it, and WTF do you tell people??? My friends would never let it go. "Hey dude, your SWMBO tastes SO good! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!" Yeah, my friends are dicks.

youre fine as long as she isnt using your non SS brewing equipment to make the kimchi. from my understanding you can brew lacto pedio beers with your brewing equipment and be ok as long as its SS. hoses and plastic on the other hand i would keep far away. i admit i dont have experience with this and may be wrong but i dont think i am. if i am someone please correct me.

Hmmm interesting, I learned a lot from this thread...I better watch what I say, I don't want people asking me where I got my Lacto...

Anyway, I make sauerkraut every year and have never had lacto contamination in my beer. I ferment both in my basement and it's a pretty small area.

no problemo, just, you know, don't put it right next to your fermentor or eat it over the fermentor.

I do a lot of pickled stuff, no problem.

I think that's right too and that's what's kept me from trying a sour. If I liked them well enought to isolate my soft plastics for transfer I'm sure I would have made some by now.

Hmmm interesting, I learned a lot from this thread...I better watch what I say, I don't want people asking me where I got my Lacto...

Anyway, I make sauerkraut every year and have never had lacto contamination in my beer. I ferment both in my basement and it's a pretty small area.

LOL I'm sure she can hook you up with a "pure" culture. Don't think you'll have any problem getting guys to sample:D.

I ferment sour beers and clean ones in the same chest freezer with no problems, so I think you'll be fine.

Back