Which propane burner to buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonutBrew

Reaction score
I'm looking at a couple of different propane burners on Amazon, but I was wondering which ones you guys have used with success. They don't have a lot of "technical" info on there for comparisoin, and anyway, real-world experience would be more helpful. I use a 12 gallon aluminum brewpot, which means it's got a pretty large base, and other than that I do 5 gallon brews currently, and I've got a few that I think would be worth making 10 gallons, so I want to make sure the burner can keep up with that.

Anyway, here are some of my options (as usual, I'm trying not to spend too much):

$40 - Bayou Classic SP10
$42 - Bayou Classic SP1
$60 - Bayou Classic SQ14

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the SQ14 the best out of those choices. I personally use the Bayou Classic KAB4 High Pressure Banjo Cooker and am very very happy with it. Amazon is selling it for 80.00. I do 10 gal batches and can easily get 12 gal to a rolling boil with the KAB4.

I use 2 SQ14's and they work great, I have no problem getting water up to temp for 10gallon batches, and I like the large stable square frames.

SQ-14 FTW $49.99 @ Amazon includes shipping. Best burner and a hot price. You can't go wrong. I have one myself.

Yes, more than adequate. I'm boiling wort1 with a converted keg on an SQ-14 right now.

I was on the fence like you a while back. Then a buddy brought over his sq-14, and I fell in love with it. IT is an awesome burner, and extremely stable for a large pot (I have a 15 gal AL pot)

So did you have to add any angle iron to make a "fence" to keep the keggle from sliding around on top?

So did you have to add any angle iron to make a "fence" to keep the keggle from sliding around on top?

Not at all necessary. A converted keg will rest fully supported on an SQ-14. A keg is quite heavy when empty and obviously much heavier when filled. This is a non-problem IMO.

Cat22 is right. you do NOT want a lip around the edge. I had bought one burner light this, only to find my kettle would not fit on top. diameter too close the lip/fence diameter so it neither sat inside, nor on top of the fence. sucked.

I have a KAB5 banjo and its definitely perfect for keggles. too much for my 9gal kettle.

the SQ14 is what I now have and today it its inaugeral use! the lack of a fence means any size kettle will fit on top, and its def. sturdy enuf for a keggle.

I cannot imagine bumping a full kettle off a stand.

You can get by with one burner if need be. It just takes longer and requires a little more effort. I brewed for a long time using only a single burner.

I just looked at the cooking to description:

This heavy duty 2-burner portable propane outdoor stove is perfect for camping and tailgating. Legs snap on and off for easy transport and storage. The two 54,000 BTU cast burners offer a 14" x 28" of cooking surface.
Attachable interlocking legs
Two 54,000 BTU cast burners
14" x 28" cooking surface
Removable windshield
Manifold and needle valves for easy flame adjustment
Two deep fry thermometers
Listed LP hose and regulator with Type 1 connection
Instruction/recipe booklet
CSA Design Certified

If you're using a keggle, I'm thinking that the cooking top is too small. I think you could modify it and take off the fence around the back and sides to allow for a larger cooking surface. If you're using smaller pots, that would be awesome.

Yeah, I dont have keggles.. they want an arm and a leg for empty kegs here..

I was thinking of just getting a couple of cheaper pots for the time being.. be out about $300 and the price of a pump altogether.. And have a decent brew rig..

I got my kegs off craigslist for $25 each off a guy who used to be a beer delivery guy and got his pick of kegs that were no longer serviceable.

nice.. I found a guy wanting $60 a piece that is pretty close to where I am.. I am going to offer him $30.. I doubt he will take it, but that is what I will pay.. never know though..

Well, figure out what scrap stainless is going for, and what a keg weighs ( I don't know 20 pounds) and offer him scrap price. I've found them online for $90 brand spankin new.

Back