PTN to Houston TX, Nov 1 -6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Reaction score
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
So I'm finally being sent to that hyperbaric medicine conference in Houston. I'm supposed to arrive on Sunday the 2nd to be there bright and shiny for Monday the 3rd but I thought I would fly out on Saturday the 1st to see the sights. The conference is at The Woodlands, Tx, northwest of Houston. Does anyone have any recomendations of things to see, places to go or any other must do's in the Houston area? Anyone local want to meet up for a beer?

PTN

in the woodlands there isnt much. mollys pub has the most brews on tap but nothing special. if you make it down to houston the ginger man in rice village and hans beir haus in rice village both have extensive microbeers on tap

Its about an hours drive from the woodlands during non rush hour times.

There are no real great beer destinations in the woodlands, excepting the Brew It Yourself LHBS, and my kitchen :)

Southern Star brewing is in Conroe, about 30 minutes north. They do tours only on Saturday afternoons though.

You can get a decent beer, food, and watch a game at the Fox and Hound off I.45 up there.

Its atually a quite nice area. Just not much in the way of good/exotic beer destinations. Good food is easy to find, plenty of movie theaters/shopping/entertainment options, etc.

There arent any/many tall buildings in the woodlands. its.. you know... a forested higher end residential suburb.

So are they sending me to the arsehole of the whole f'ing world or can I just see the arsehole of the whole f'ing world from the top of tall buildings?

PTN

Pretty much. Remember when dealing with Houston traffic, non-rush hour means 3:15 am to 3:30 am.

It could be worse though, they could be sending you to Longview.

I'm glad I took a look at this, and I'm glad you're finally making it down.

Yes, unfortunately, there is little in the way of great beer in The Woodlands. Outside of Molly's, you pretty much have to come into Houston. Hans' Bierhaus and the Gingerman are among my favorites, but they are about 45 minutes away from where I expect you are staying. A little closer is the Flying Saucer, downtown, or the Petrol Station, just off the North Loop. The traffic on the weekends isn't bad, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

However, your dates seem a little wonky. That Saturday is not the 1st of November, it's Halloween. As you might imagine, the difference is more than a little significant when it comes to heading out for a beer.

I hope to get a beer with you while you're in town, though!

TL

OK I dicked that up. I need to be there for 8 am Monday morning so I need to come down on Sunday at the latest. I may well come down on Saturday if there are worthwhile places around. Here is a topic sure to cause a conversation. Any good BBQ around?

PTN

Molina's on Washington for good Tex Mex, Rajun Cajun for great cajun food, Churaasco's for a South American Steak you cant beat, Chuy's up in the Woodlands has good tex mex too.
Bar-B- Que, find your self a little hole in the wall with a pit outside.
You are going to have to drive your cah to go to these places though.

WHOA UP ther a bit. The woodlands/ Conroe has the Southern Star Brewing Company with tours on saturday........ And they may have some of my beer still on tap, since I brew there a few times a month.

Have you "registered" with the local authorities in Texas yet Paul?

You know how you're not allowed within .5 miles of a school so I would check out where these bars are and if there are any spots near by you need to steer clear of.

Paul, if you figure out where you are going to be, I'll see if I can make it up there and grab a beer or two with you on that Sunday you get in. Amazingly, the calendar is completely blank for Nov. 1.

Does anyone know if Tailgators has local beer on tap (or, at least, in bottles)? I get very wary of places that don't. There's too much good stuff around here. I don't care how many TVs you have.

TL

Tailgators has good beer on Tap. Sam Adams, Blue Moon, Guiness, Bass Ale, Fat Tire etc. No St. Arnold's though.. Disappointing. You should be able to find something you like. If not, well they have a large selection of bottles. too....

Paul, if you figure out where you are going to be, I'll see if I can make it up there and grab a beer or two with you on that Sunday you get in. Amazingly, the calendar is completely blank for Nov. 1.

Does anyone know if Tailgators has local beer on tap (or, at least, in bottles)? I get very wary of places that don't. There's too much good stuff around here. I don't care how many TVs you have.

TL

I'll be at the Woodlands Waterways Marriot, getting into Houston around 2, by the time I get a car I figure 4pm there. That Tailgaters place sounds like it would be a fine place to catch a game, since the Pats are on the bye week I don't have a true vested interest in any team.

I got the first round.

PTN

Well I've got to say, I had a great time in Houston. The conference had some long, long days, 8 am till 6 pm ever day, went to 8 pm two nights. That part sucked.

The great part was hooking up with TexLaw, discussing football, the Constitution, the state of modern society and bending elbows till well into the evening. I don't know about you bro, but I had a big head come early Monday morning.

Thanks again for a fun night out and be sure to let me know when you get up this way. I'll help you overcome your aversion to snow.

PTN

I had a great time, too, Paul. That was some great conversation, and I don't know if we left that place with any Guinness after we were done. Yes, I was moving at less than full speed the next morning.

I look forward to seeing you down the road, sometime, and the sooner the better. :mug:

TL

Back