Brown sugar in an oatmeal stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got an oatmeal stout kit from Austin Home Brew. I have some light brown sugar laying around. Has anyone experimented with maybe just a half cup to a cup added after boil in an oatmeal stout? I figure people like brown sugar on their oatmeal, why not in an oatmeal stout?

Do it my friend. Though just remember that it will dry out your beer a little more, which makes for a thinner stout. You might just look into adding molasses instead (as brown sugar is just less processed white sugar, residual molasses) for that brown sugar flavor

Basically, you lose the sweetness and are left with molasses. A little bit might be interesting, but I've found that anything that depends on a blast of sugar to taste good should not be added to beer.

Technically, brown sugar is common white table sugar with molasses added back.

Molasses is, after all, that which remains after sugarcane is processed into white sugar. I like a bit of molasses in stout and porter. Not too much, maybe 4-6 fluid ounces. I once primed a Brown Porter with treacle. Yummmmmmmmm...

Bob

Back