Careers in brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesrm

Reaction score
Ok, so I have been thinking a lot about it, I am young and love beer and an entrepreneur, if I go to the brew school in Chicago or California, is there a viable job market after graduation or is the main opportunity to open up your own microbrewery/brew pub?

If you have been there, done that, and got the beer belly to prove it, lets here what you have to say!

Thanks! :mug:

I'd be wary. The economy is bad and alcohol isn't exactly an inferior good.

Are you looking to make lots of money? I hear even as a master brewer it's definitely not a job for money.

Also restaurants generally fail. That said you are young and it's the perfect time to fail as you have little financial responsibilities(family, mortgage, etc.)

I've considered this myself before, and ended up deciding that I like keeping this fun hobby separate from work. That said I also really enjoy what I currently do for work.

I am also considering a job in brewing...I'm planning on attending the ABG program in about a year. Hopefully by the time I'm done with that the economy will be in a better situation. I am about to graduate college and am having a difficult time finding a job. There are no breweries near me, but want to get a job that would help with my brewing career. Anyone have any suggestions of a good job to do in the mean time? There is a winery near me, a lot of restaurants, and a few beer distributors.

Opportunities are somewhat limited, but there are always a few openings as people move up to their own operations or quit because the low pay & heavy physical labor involved. For a small brewery, figure an opening every 2-3 years.

As far as what to do to get ready? Heavy, boring physical labor.

I'm on the other end, 42, 20 years in at the University of Iowa, and I'm ready for a change. Id be willing to start parttime, and then move slowly into something. I thought about maybe a winnery. It seems like there are more and more of those opening up around here. We have no real brew shops here either. That i keep hoping will open up around here. At least I could pay for the brewing supplies?

If I've learned anything in my short tenure on Earth, it's that if you want to absolutely ruin a hobby, you should make a career out of it.

That, and something about dumping your beer and fearing the foam. :D

I really like the hobby. The only job I'd consider would be part time at a HBS. That way, I could give my knowledge back to the homebrew community.

I'd be wary. The economy is bad and alcohol isn't exactly an inferior good.

Are you looking to make lots of money? I hear even as a master brewer it's definitely not a job for money.

Isn't alcohol a recession proof industry?

I've thought maybe in 10 - 20 years and I'm really ready for a career change that I'd open a microbrewery. I certainly don't have the capital right now.

It doesn't seem like you can make much money as a brewmaster, but money isn't everything. If you could learn the trade, work for a bit, then open a brewery/brewpub you might be able to make some money... might.

When I came out to Oregon a year and a half ago, I shot a line out to the folks at Ninkasi looking for work. I received a reply saying that they were only a couple of guys working part-time and had no need. Now, Ninkasi is the 7 biggest brewery in the state (that's saying something for Oregon).

Isn't alcohol a recession proof industry?

I've thought maybe in 10 - 20 years and I'm really ready for a career change that I'd open a microbrewery. I certainly don't have the capital right now.

I see alot people are not spending as much on brew as they used too. Staying pretty level altough last 2 weeks I bought alot more to combat stress. :drunk:

I wonder if sales of Natty Ice are up?

I say go for it! Follow your dreams. We just may be talking to the next Sam Adams here.. ::Elbow::

A dream we all share to some extent...A homebrewer turned microbrewery millionaire! Just kidding, but seriously a brewpub would be sweet.

Latest posts

Back