Brutal Bitter Yeast Harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antonyw

Reaction score
I've been trying to grow some pacman from the slurry in a 22 Ozs brutal bitter. Two attempts appear to have failed. I'm adding the slurry from a few bottles to about 300ml of 1.040 wort made from DME and some yeast nutrient. The temps aren't exceeding 75 degrees at anytime. As far as I can tell it never really gets going despite some nice looking slurry in the bottom of the flask. How much activity should I expect from this little yeast? Any ideas? Try a different Rogue beer for more cells maybe?

How long are you letting it sit before saying it's inactive?

I had a starter sit a couple days before I saw it being active. I'd guess it could be even longer with pitching sediment from the bottom of a bottle. That yeast is probably pretty dormant.

Thanks guys! It actually started to show some activity last Saturday morning (after two to three days) and is building a little cake now so I guess I just needed some more patience.

I'll look up that shop and I was thinking of just getting one of the rogue kits and then propagating the yeast from the first batch.

also, you can always do a double starter, first try a low gravity wort, 1.020-30 and than when that starts bubbling transfer it to a 1.040 starter.

Back