CO2 inside freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcolson

Reaction score
i have my CO2 in my chest freezer and i think its changing the pressure in the tank should i store it outside the freezer?? if so how would i go about drilling a hole in the freezer?

i have my CO2 in my chest freezer and i think its changing the pressure in the tank should i store it outside the freezer?? if so how would i go about drilling a hole in the freezer?

The cold will change the pressure rating, no big deal. I keep mine outside because I want the room inside. You can easily build a 2x4 collar and drill through that all you want. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/search.php?searchid=2044529 all the info you'll ever need on collars.

ok so the gauge say 600 psi now and it said 800 when i put it in is there still the same ammt in there if i leave it in the freezer?

Yes you still have the same amount, and no it won't effect the amount of kegs you can dispense.

My co2 tank is inside the fridge, and it works fine. Because the co2 is put in (it's a liquid) and dispenses as a gas, the gauge reads lower when it's cold. It's still the same amount of gas, though, whatever the gauge reads. It doesn't matter if it's in the keezer or out- it works the same. Those gauges aren't really that reliable anyway- it seems like it'll hold the same for a long time, and then BOOM! empty. I think it's because of the liquid/gas thing. Anyway, you can keep it in either place, in or out, with no worries.

CO2 in a liquid/vapor state has a direct pressure/temperature relationship, as can be seen in the chart below. The pressure will stay the same, at a given temperature, until all the liquid has been vaporized. Once only vapor exists, the pressure in the tank will drop rapidly.

CO2_liquid_gas_chart.gif

Back