milled/unmilled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoebag22

Reaction score
Looking at getting into AG, but in an effort to keep costs down, I don't want to by a grain mill (yet) . DO any of you get your grains pre-milled from ahs or NB? does it defeat the purpose of making an AG if it's milled so far in advance?

I don't have a mill, so I buy my grains crushed from the homebrew stores. I use Austinhomebrew.com the most. It's fine, and I'm satisfied with it. I still want my own mill someday, so I can buy grain sacks in bulk, but it works fine for now.

YooperBrew said:
I don't have a mill, so I buy my grains crushed from the homebrew stores. I use Austinhomebrew.com the most. It's fine, and I'm satisfied with it. I still want my own mill someday, so I can buy grain sacks in bulk, but it works fine for now.

Yup, same here. Austin Homebrew is great, the grain is well milled and the milling is free (unlike some other online shops). They also ship the base grain in big, sealed plastic bags. I have used bulk grain from them 6 weeks after ordering with no problem.

im looking to build / buy a grain mill in the immediate future but I still get the precrushed stuff. its usually a coarse crush, so no stuck sparges but you shouldnt expect efficiency higher than about 70%. which is really not too bad. the biggest drawback is not being able to store the precrushed stuff nearly as long as whole grains.

The only concern with milled grains is that they can oxidize over time. You can store them much longer if you put them in an oxygen barrier bag or container and store them in the freezer. Heat and air are enemies of crushed grains.

corona mill if you don't want to put out a lot of money for a expensive mill. It works fine and I know some people get mid 80's eff with them. Also all the crushed grain I've ever received was way to coarse.

Check with your LHBS. You may be able to buy a sack of grain then bring it in and crush it as needed. That's what I do untill I get around to muying a monster mill.

Back