Cut a Beer Bottle Cleanly in Half With a Piece of String

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It used to be common practice to make guitar slides that way, from the necks of wine bottles. Which of course is why "bottleneck" is slang for playing slide guitar.

its not the string though...its the cold water shock around the part you heated up with the string + acetone 'wick'.

homebrewer_99 said:
Would that work if I wanted to cut off the top of a carboy? I want/need a large open fermenter...

Maybe the glass would be too thick...

I went to a glass cutter and he advised against cutting it.

6 gallon bucket?

Danny013 said:
6 gallon bucket?
Thanks, but no.

I'm looking for an open fermenter to make Sake. It recommends a 5 gal porcelain container and states not to use plastic.

I figured with 20+ carboys on-hand I could get the top cut off of one and use it for the Sake. No luck so far...:mad:

Finally! You have no idea how long I've been trying to figure out how to cut a beer bottle like that! I figure I could put my 2 year old son's toothbrush and paste in it. Maybe use it as his sippy cup. :D

i remember dad using that to cut bottles for glasses in the late 70's early 80's

blow torch will remove the sharp edges:rockin:

eriktlupus said:
i remember dad using that to cut bottles for glasses in the late 70's early 80's
There was a kit sold on cheapo "Ronco" style TV commercials in the 70's, for turning bottles into glasses. It had a jig you rolled the bottle in, and it scored a line that would then (theoretically!) break cleanly. The kit included sandpaper, for smoothing the edges.

I can still see the people in the commercials, drinking from their ghetto glasses, with their big seventies hair and sunglasses. :fro:

HB99: there's a lot of crock pots in the neighborhood of 5 gallons on ebay, if you're patient you can find one for relatively inexpensive (under $30). I got too lazy and just ordered a 5 gal SS pot for my sake, should get here tomorrow :D.

Latest posts

Back