Oxiclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rohanski

Reaction score
I have heard some people use Oxiclean to degunk their carboys before sanitizing. How much should I use per gallon?

I'm not sure the exact amount. The only time I use it is at 15 gallons at a time and I use a full scoop for that. I think it is something like 2-4 tablespoons/gallon which I believe is the same for PBW. Guess I use the 2 Tbsp per gallon or less, but I let it sit overnight not the 30-60 minutes. If I used 4 Tbsp per gallon I would probably only let it set an hour or two max. I use it on stainless so glass I bet you could leave it longer. I love oxyclean and am still debating which works better, it or PBW.

On a side note, I have been using oxyclean in my dishwasher as of late and it works great.

As much as it takes. I use different amounts depending on what I'm cleaning. I might throw a couple tablespoons into 5 gallons, or I might throw more than that into just 1 gallon. I never measure, just eyeball it - use it a few times and you'll have a feel for it - if you try cleaning something and it's not working well, try adding more oxyclean. If you use a fair amount of it you should see it sort of bubbling and churning, and it should take off most gunk with just a long soak and a rinse.

"Just a scoop" isn't very specific, the small jar of oxyclean I got had a tiny scoop, and one scoop full was about right for 5 gallons in most cases, but the big tub I got has a huge scoop which is way more than I've ever used for 5 gallons.

I would consider 4tbsp/gallon way too much but that's just my opinion.

Also letting it sit longer than required can leave deposits and it is not effective after time.
My scoop is around 1-1.5tbsps. And that does me for a 6.5 gallon carboy with warm water and around 2 hours.

Orfy I agree, I went back to look at my written down numbers. I was way off so let me re-do. :( Sorry, I am such a dumb-ass sometimes and being dyslexic doesn't help at all. (Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!!!!!!!!, lol)

I just measured a "scoop" of oxyclean (I know scoops are different sizes) and Orfy is way right. It measured to 1-1/8oz per scoop (or 2.25 Tbsp). That means I use way less for 15 gallons than the similar PBW ask for at 1 oz per 5 gallons. Mine actually works out to .15 tbsp per gallon. It cleans great at that strength at 1 hour contact time at 160*F. I really am bad with numbers so I had to write all this down, and I just look at my sheet when I need to use chemicals. I am surprised though by how little I really use.

Sorry for the misinformation earlier. I just know I use a "scoop" for my sanke keg kettle and tuns, and it works for me.

I put one scoop in my 6.5 gal glass carboy last night, added cool water, and today it's barely soiled!

Hey guys, the local big box stores I check out didn't have it. Where would you recommend finding it?

I got a big tub of OxiClean Free from Target for around $6. It is in the isle with the laundry detergent.

I found that I don't have to put more than 1/2-3/4 scoop per carboy. I found if you do a full scoop you may have residual white oxy-cake on the out side of the carboy from the foam over. And maybe it is because I fill it almost full.

definitely use the unscented (oxiclean free). if the fragrance they use can withstand oxiclean, i wonder what could possibly be in it? i bought some fragranced stuff for my laundry and it made my SWMBO break out in hives, but i dip my hands in the free stuff all the time and never have any trouble.

The "Dollar Tree" has something called Totally Awesome Oxygen for---yep $1 per container. it is fragrance free and it works great.
It doesn't have any dust like OxyClean has (which irritates the heck out of the old nose!)

Use a 1oz scoop and let sit a few hours.

LOL, I am actually still using the first big-huge tub we bought when Wal-Mart first starting carrying it. It is just called Oxy/Clean, but I assume it is the unscented since it really has no scent. Also it says you can use it on coffee makers right on the bucket, so I assume, but it has a few blue crystals in it???? Maybe it is just because it is so old??? I dunno, I used it to clean out our drinking-water bottles the other day and filled them with RO water. They all tasted like clean water, so I will use this bucket up and then have to look for Oxy/Clean Free the next time, lol.

I owned a bad ass 1992 K5 Full-size Chevy Blazer once, and the exact same truck in 1993 was called a frickin' Tahoe. I have never understood why products come out with a "so-and-so PLUS", lol. Why don't they just start making the original product to the new standards????? LOL I do understand the blazer thing though..... I miss my truck :(

I do have to say that oxyclean worked awesome on cleaning my bottles that were donated to me by people I know, they were VERY dirty and a soak in oxy overnight in a cooler with hot water and viola there clean.

adx said:
I got a big tub of OxiClean Free from Target for around $6. It is in the isle with the laundry detergent.

Ditto for me. Its all I use and have been using for many months. It also works well for removing labels off bottles...:rockin:

I finally tried oxiclean and it is great. I have used PBW and brewvint cleanitizer and the oxiclean was way better. I used it to take off some real gummy nasty labels. It got rid of almost all the gummy stuff the others left behind. Some other labels with regular glue fell right off in less than 1 hour. It worked great on my krausen gunked carboy. I'm going to check all the 99 cent/$1 stores in my area.

For what it's worth....The main ingredient (Sodium Percarbonate) in Oxyclean is the same active ingredient that is found in One Step sanitizer. Oxyclean is just not as pure. For whomever may be interested, you can buy 100% pure Sodium Percarbonate from "The ChemistryStore.com" for $4.50 for a 2 lb. jar. I've been getting it from them for about a year now. The stuff works great and also there is no undissolved, powdery residue floating around either.

I pretty much know the answer, but hey, ask away right?

Oxiclean would be the best bet for cleaning primary fermenters and carboys after use as opposed to residue leaving antibac soap or just hot water?

Didn't want to have soap residue, so we scorch the primaries w/ hot water only.

Oxiclean needs a few good rinses after use, but I think it leave less residue than soap. I am also paranoid about using anything too soapy or harsh on my equiptment.

Oxyclean works great with plastic fermenters, and I've used it in the past to clean my All-Clad pots, with no effects on the stainless. With the fermters just make sure you rinse it well before using them again.

Hey Macs, thanks for the info. I was just going to post "is oxi clean the same as one step?. It's also good to know that its not pure, so I guess you couldn't use it as a direct replacement for one step? Anyone know the answer to this? I also wanted to know if it was possible to keep one-step in a 5 gal bucket to reuse a couple of days later? The stuff isn't real cheap. I use Straight-A one step.

Is Oxyclean the same as B-Brite?
Not the same, but same product with different name/packaging?

Oxyclean has two ingredients. sodium percarbonate which was stated earlier in this thread, and sodium bicarbonate. (baking soda) I don't know the percent of each.

I don't think you should use it after a few hours. I believe I read somewhere it was 10 hours.

So would anyone recommend against using this as a direct replacement for One-Step cleaner?

psi3000 said:
Hey Macs, thanks for the info. I was just going to post "is oxi clean the same as one step?. It's also good to know that its not pure, so I guess you couldn't use it as a direct replacement for one step? Anyone know the answer to this? I also wanted to know if it was possible to keep one-step in a 5 gal bucket to reuse a couple of days later? The stuff isn't real cheap. I use Straight-A one step.
You are welcome psi3000. I have used Oxiclean in place of OneStep a couple of times with no problems other than some residue that Oxiclean may leave behind. If I remember correctly, I think Oxiclean is 85% Sodium Percarbonate, the rest being some inert fillers, ect. I found the info while searching for a cheaper sanitizer on the internet last year. As for keeping it for several days...The Sodium Percarbonate molecule is unstable when mixed with water and will break down into Oxygen, (the sanitizer) and Sodium Carbonate, (the cleaner). I've never kept it more than a day myself but I think other brewers have.

what about cleaning kegs out with oxy? i read people using pbw. just got my kegging kit and am about to fill it when i get my co2 tank in. just didn't order any line cleaner or other kegging cleaning stuff. sounds good for anything, including laundry!

PUD said:
what about cleaning kegs out with oxy? i read people using pbw. just got my kegging kit and am about to fill it when i get my co2 tank in. just didn't order any line cleaner or other kegging cleaning stuff. sounds good for anything, including laundry!
It should work fine for cleaning Kegs. Just make sure not to leave any residue behind in the keg. I like to use pure, 100% Sodium Percarbonate because it completely dissolves in water and leaves no undissolved residue behind.

So wait we can use Oxy-Clean to sanitize our carboys/ equipment instead of One-Step? Do you have to rinse it afterward?

So wait we can use Oxy-Clean to sanitize our carboys/ equipment instead of One-Step? Do you have to rinse it afterward?

OxyClean's not a sanitizer; it's a detergent. Yes, you do have to rinse it out afterward.

I filled my carboys up with an Oxyclean/water solution and let them sit...sometimes for weeks at a time until i either brew again or remember they are sitting there with the solution in them...Is this an issue?...I usually rinse with water about 7 or 8 times before i put the iodophor in them for sanitizing...just curious...i haven't had any issues so far but wanted to know if anyone knew of effects from long term oxyclean soak...any information is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Mike

Looking at buying a 30 lbs. pale of 100% Sodium Percarbonate fromt he Chem Store and it is cheaper than oxiclean at that amount (including shipping). Better product (no residue) for less money = purchasing now :)

I know this thread was last updated a couple years ago, but I just wanted to post that I did some math and at current prices for product and shipping it doesn't look to me like the chemistrystore.com deal is very good when compared to buying oxyclean in a local store.

From chemestrystore.com:
If you buy 2 pounds of sodium percarbonate, it's $5.50 + $14.15 shipping = $19.65 ($0.61 per ounce)

If you buy the 30 pound bucket it's $90.70 + $35.26 shipping = $125.96 ($0.26 per ounce)

From your local grocery store:
One 56 oz tub of Oxyclean Free at approximately $7 ($0.13 per ounce)

I guess with the pure sodium percarbonate you're buying more purity and less residue but at a premium.

Back