Secondary Fermentation Temp Changes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChairMissing

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, but couldn't find the answer I was looking for in the archives, so here it goes:

I brewed an IPA the other week and had it fermenting at about 68 pretty steadily for two weeks. Then racked it to the secondary and am currently dry hopping it. However, I live in an apartment in Brooklyn and have no control over the temp in my apt. The past week hit a huge cold spell in NYC and the thermometer on my my fermentor has hit as low as 55 and stayed that temp pretty steady.

My question is how bad is this for the beer? Does the yeast just become inactive and I have to wait for the temps to come back up? Should I let it sit an extra week (temps are supposed to warm up this week). Or should I just bottle it and see what happens?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

If its in secondary and you waited to rack it from primary when it was at FG then there is no fermentation occurring any longer and the temperature for dry hopping is really not an issue:)

Awesome. Thanks! Yes, I measure the gravity for three days and it was consistent before I racked to secondary. So hopefully everything should turn out OK.

Back