Clementines and zest to last 5 minutes of boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coupleathree

Reaction score
So I was brewing a wheat beer today and on a whim zested a few clementines and peeled 6 and tossed that in for the last five minutes of the boil. I just dumped everything into the primary and pitched the yeast. Didn't think much of It, but later did some research and I'm not sure if it was a good idea. Should I let this sit for a week and then transfer to secondary and leave the clementines behind? If I leave them longer, will they go rancid? Any and all comments/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
P.S. I realize to get fruit flavor they should be added to secondary, not primary. But it is too late for that....

I think you should be ok, just keep tasting it. Since it's a sterile Environ, I don't see the fruit going bad.

they will not go rancid. the yeast has taken over in the beer (hopefully), there shouldn't be a whole lot else active that can get the rotting process going.

how diligent were you in getting the peel only, and avoiding the pith (aka the white stuff under the external peel)? the pith can be quite astringent. as long as you don't have too much of that, you'll be fine.

in fact, the chances of things going wrong are pretty slim based on my limited experience. i did exactly as you did on my first batch. upon bottling the beer smelled really strongly of peel, i was afraid that i had ruined the batch by leaving the rind in primary. the beer turned out great.

for future reference, you should strain out the peel while going from kettle to primary.

and the peels don't need to go into secondary, necessarily. adding peel to the last 5-10 minutes of the boil is the traditional way of getting the flavor into a wheat beer.

Latest posts

Back