IPA Recipe, Request Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puroman

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this site. Posted an introduction awhile back. Doing an all-grain recipe that I designed and want to know what you guys think.

Mash Ingredients: 11 lbs 2-row, 1 lb Cara-Pils, 8 oz Special Roast

Hop Schedule: 1 oz Chinook 60 mins
1 oz Columbus 60 mins
1 oz Chinook 30 mins
1 oz Cascade 10 mins
1 oz Cascade 0 mins

What do you guys think? I was thinking of adding a pound of Lt DME to boost up the alcohol from 6.1 to 8.9 as well as to balance out what maybe an over zealousness with the hops on my part. I'm brewing this Saturday and would appreciate any feedback. I'm using Wyyeast 1056. Is there anything you guys would tweak?

TIA

K. Z.

I agree, move the 60 min Chinook or Columbus to sometime in the last 15 minutes. With 2 oz at 60 you are well over 100 IBU which will be WAY too bitter. You doing any dry hopping? I would do 1-2 oz of whatever hop you want for a week or so.

Also adding a pound of DME won't increase your gravity enough to give you an extra 3% alcohol, it will maybe get you 1%. But why use DME? Will your mash tun not hold any more grain?

Also, I like to add some Vienna or Munich to my IPAs to give it a little bit of a malt backbone. I usually replace about 2 lbs of the base malt with Vienna or Munich, but that's just me. I also like a touch of Crystal malt (maybe 0.5 lb of 40L) in mine, but again that is just a personal taste and your taste may be different than mine. I like the Special Roast in there though. Might have to try that!

I would move the 30 min addition to 20 mins or less and maybe add another late addition. Sunday I brewed an IPA with all late hops.
1.070 OG

Centennial
2 oz 9.9% 20 mins
2 oz 9.9% 15 mins
2 oz 9.9% 10 mins
2 oz 9.9% 5 mins

86 IBUs

Just to give you more to think about.

I had a feeling my hop bill was a little too much. My mash tun will hold the grain, just thought the DME might be a nice touch. Thanks for the input. Going to definately dial back my Hop schedule. Planning on dry hopping with Cascade for a week. Going to pass on the DME.

Thanks again and if anyone else has any ideas, please keep them coming.

I don't think 5 ounces is too much, just too much at 60. I would move one ounce from 60 and the ounce from 30 to 10 minutes.

I didn't even see that 60 min Chinook addition. If your not familiar with BU:GU ratio (bitter units : gravity units) it is a nice tool to have when creating recipes. A small amount of searching will describe the details.

I'd swap the 1056 for mmaybe 1272 or 1450 personally, since you asked. You could also move some bittering hops to fwh to cut back the bitterness some.

What mash temp are you targeting? With that many Ibus a higher fg could balance it out more.

tgmartin, the adding of the dme was going to be my answer to balance out the hops. instead, I came up with this hop schedule and think it will probably work better.

1 oz Columbus at 60
.5 oz Chinook at 30
.5 oz Chinook at 20
.5 oz Cascade at 10
.5 oz Cascade at 0 mins

What do you guys think?

tgmartin, the adding of the dme was going to be my answer to balance out the hops. instead, I came up with this hop schedule and think it will probably work better.

1 oz Columbus at 60
.5 oz Chinook at 30
.5 oz Chinook at 20
.5 oz Cascade at 10
.5 oz Cascade at 0 mins

What do you guys think?

I think you need more hops. More late addition hops to be precise. I would do something like this:

0.5 oz Columbus at 60
1 oz Chinook at 20
1 oz Chinook at 15
1 oz Cascade at 10
1 oz Cascade at 0 mins
1 oz Chinook DH 7 days
1 oz Cascade DH 7 days

Thanks for the help. I added a few more hops and according to Beersmith, I should come in around 90 IBUs. Brewing Saturday. I like the above DH schedule as well.

Back