Can I predict my pre-boil gravity from mash tun gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_tripp

Reaction score
I might not have the right terminology so please correct me if I am wrong. I am trying to figure out if there is a general estimation of extraction rate/effeciency for the second running or after I sparge.

My brew right now has 4 gal. in the mash tun and 4 gal. in the HLT. My reading now after 30 minutes of mashing is 1.090. I guess what I am trying to ask is there a way to predict what my pre-boil gravity will be from this number?

I guess my real question is: Is there a way to see if you hit your extraction from the mash so you can start sparging? For example, if I'm at 1.090 after 30 min. have I extracted all that I can and will 30 more minutes really do anything?

Thanks.

Iodine test will tell you if all your starch is converted, search Iodine test. Mashing has the potential for variations in procedures so one mashing may be different from the next.

Back