Was this obvious to everyone but me???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kephren

Reaction score
When I was a kid... maybe 9 or 10, I ordered a "malt" thinking it was the same thing as a "shake." It was awful. At least by my standards back then. I'm 31 now and yesterday I decided I would try one again. I got my vanilla malt, and at the first sip, I then realized what "malt" was! Tasted just like DME! How could I not have realized this?
So tonight, I made a milkshake at home, added 1-2 tbsp of light DME and what do you know... a malted milkshake! I wish I had a kid to share it with :)

I've always preferred malts, if they're made right. Got one once, and the malt stuff wasn't mixed up. It was all crunchy. Blech.

Since I started brewing, I've wondered if they actually use DME in them, or some imitation stuff.

I don't recall the last time I had a malted milk shake but I know I HATE malted milk balls. Or at least I did before I started this hobby... hmm, Should I purchase or make my own. :confused:

So, I'm confused now. what is the core ingredient of "Malt Shakes". It ain't barley malt is it?? :confused: I'm not interested enough to google this one...

I worked at a Sonic all through high school. A malt was just a milkshake that they added some sort of powder to.

My web search reveals that "malt" is indeed malted barley. Carnation Malted Milk powder is just malt plus powdered milk. And the malt I made tonight was excellent and tasted even better than the restaurant malt I had yesterday - my guess is they use the powdered stuff and quality ingredients play a role.

Walker said:
malto-dextrin to add body, probably.

Nope, when you get a malt at an old time soda shop, what they add is a roasted malt powder. That's what gives a malt its great flavor. The drug store in my home town had a soda fountain and the malts there were great.

I'm made my own using DME when I first started this hoby. I put it in a blender to get it mixed in though. Good stuff. At least to me.

I'm sure I'd love it. I am always eating the DME that gets steam on it and clumps together when I pour into the kettle.

-walker

When I was a kid, I had no clue that beer (vile disgusting stuff) and malt had anything to do with each other. Malted beverages were sold as nutritional suppliments for pregnant women. They were basically wort that had been slightly (<1%) fermented. I think I'll add some DME to my morning mud! (coffee, cocoa powder, milk)

another good idea! I think I'll bring a cup of my dark DME to the office with me tomorrow and use it for my afternoon Froo-froo coffees. (can't stand the sweetness in the morning, but love it in the afternoon.)

-walker

Do you have malt loaf over there?

http://www.fife.50megs.com/malt-loaf.htm

712129b.jpg

225g/8oz plain flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
225g/8oz sultanas
50g/2oz demerara sugar
175g/6oz malt extract
1 tbsp black treacle
2 eggs, beaten
150ml/5fl oz strained cold black tea

I bought some malts from Portillos the other day. Hadn't had one since I started brewing. It tasted just like LME.

Mmmm...Portillos....

My fiance works at Baskin Robbins. Once and a while I ask her to bring me home a large pint cup of malt, for my ice cream and shakes. I love it! She can't stand the stuff. But hey, she can't stand beer either. Go Figure!?

Walker said:
I'm sure I'd love it. I am always eating the DME that gets steam on it and clumps together when I pour into the kettle.

-walker
:p that's a riot! i do the same damn thing!!!!!!

mmmmmm..chocolate malt shake......mmmmmmm :cross:

Back