Cheap stainless hop spider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doobliebop

Reaction score
I used the PVC hop spider design I have seen on this site for about a year, but I always was slightly uneasy about it and wanted it to be stainless. I think my new solution is as cheap and elegant as it gets. What do you think?

$5.95 + free Super Saver shipping on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002C91G32/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

vNNkB.jpg

eq5n6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You wanted a hop spider to be stainless, so you made it out of a paint strainer bag and some Doritos chip clips? :)

_

I like this. I made a stainless hop spider from a stainless sink drain. It's great, but the opening is small. I had a lot of trouble getting whole leaf hops in there when making IPA's. I need something with a bigger ring.

Quick question though before I pull the trigger. How sturdy is the metal arm and ring? I brew 10 gallons batches and with a big IPA and lots of leaf hops, will the arm bend?

Cool idea. If it's sturdy, I'll be making one.

I like this. I made a stainless hop spider from a stainless sink drain. It's great, but the opening is small. I had a lot of trouble getting whole leaf hops in there when making IPA's. I need something with a bigger ring.

Quick question though before I pull the trigger. How sturdy is the metal arm and ring? I brew 10 gallons batches and with a big IPA and lots of leaf hops, will the arm bend?

Cool idea. If it's sturdy, I'll be making one.

So cheap I couldn't resist. I'll comment on sturdiness when it arrives.

i thought this was going to be an entirely stainless hop spider, that would be something.

You mean something like this??

5178-hop-spider-use.jpg

I used mine for the first time last night (Saturday evening)... I'll take some pictures of it while not in use and post them later... I made mine from a 6"x3" cake form (no bottom), a hose clamp, and three 6" sections of 1/4-20 threaded rod (304 stainless)... I have enough rod left to make another one if I wish. I drilled and tapped the holes in the ring for the threaded rod. I used stainless acorn nuts for the inside, with stainless lock washers and regular stainless nuts for other side. Basically, all the metal in mine is stainless steel... :rockin:

Obviously, this fits well on a 10 gallon BoilerMaker kettle. It also works for a keggle... I might look for another bag to use with the spider. The first one was made for me.

You mean something like this??

5178-hop-spider-use.jpg

I used mine for the first time last night (Saturday evening)... I'll take some pictures of it while not in use and post them later... I made mine from a 6"x3" cake form (no bottom), a hose clamp, and three 6" sections of 1/4-20 threaded rod (304 stainless)... I have enough rod left to make another one if I wish. I drilled and tapped the holes in the ring for the threaded rod. I used stainless acorn nuts for the inside, with stainless lock washers and regular stainless nuts for other side. Basically, all the metal in mine is stainless steel... :rockin:

Obviously, this fits well on a 10 gallon BoilerMaker kettle. It also works for a keggle... I might look for another bag to use with the spider. The first one was made for me.
This thing is awesome. Any problem with hop utilization? I currently use the hop blocker on my 10 gal boilermaker and it is COMPLETELY useless. I always lose suction with about a gallon left in the pot.

I use the 6" SS egg ring with a SS worm gear hose clamp. I just bent the handle into a hook that hangs on the side of my keggle. Works great! Super cheap!

I wanted mine to be more professional looking. The parts were pretty cheap, all things considered. Plus I have enough rod to make a second one. I've placed it on my mash tun keggle and the legs rest on the top ring (where the handles are). So, same design works for 10 gallon BoilerMaker kettles and keggles. Leg span is about 17", I believe. I'll measure it when I get home.

I do like how I can secure the bag easile, without worry.

I'll be using it with my English IPA recipe in two weeks. Should get a decent idea on hop impact with that batch. My brews are usually more lightly hopped, so I might not be a good one to comment on hop utilization values.

Still, a hop spider makes thing far easier on brew day. No more several bags and such.

Back