Give me reassurance on a high-grav beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsweet

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I severely underpitched a high gravity beer. Didn't realize I was supposed to have pitched like 3x as many yeast cells as I did until a few days into fermentation. So I've been really worried about a stuck fermentation, and that's making me violate all three of the most important rules of brewing: 1) have patience, 2) don't mess around with it unless you have to, and 3) RDWHAHB.

OG was 1.086. After 7 days it was 1.058, and the flavor seemed on track with the exception that it was still sickly sweet (duh) and had a strong and unpleasant yeasty flavor (also duh, since it was still kraeusening). After 14 days it is 1.048, and it doesn't taste so good. I had some hot fermentation temps the last couple of days before I moved it down to the basement, and I think I just found out what fusel alcohols taste like. Or maybe it's my imagination. On the plus side, the airlock is still bubbling away, so I believe it is still actively fermenting; and it most definitely does not taste like "Satan's anus", so I tend to doubt I have an infection.

I guess what I'm looking to hear is something like this: "Hey n00b, it dropped a full 10 points since your last hydrometer reading, so what's this prattling on about a stuck fermentation? And as far as the taste, dude, it's right in the middle of active fermentation, of course it tastes weird. Give it at least another 2 weeks in the primary, and then either rack it over for another 2-4 weeks in secondary, or even better, just leave it on the yeast cake for that time. If it still tastes funny then and/or the OG is way higher than your target, then we'll talk."

Right?

Edit: The yeast is Wyeast 3944, which I understand to be a fairly slow fermenter anyway...?

"Hey n00b, it dropped a full 10 points since your last hydrometer reading, so what's this prattling on about a stuck fermentation? And as far as the taste, dude, it's right in the middle of active fermentation, of course it tastes weird. Give it at least another 2 weeks in the primary, and then either rack it over for another 2-4 weeks in secondary, or even better, just leave it on the yeast cake for that time. If it still tastes funny then and/or the OG is way higher than your target, then we'll talk."

-Nuff said. You answered your own question.

Back