Partial Mash Water Chemistry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Castawayales

Reaction score
When doing a partial mash, partial boil (3 gallons), Should I treat all of the water, or just the water used to mash and sparge.

I am doing a light lager that requires me to use a lot of distilled water to get my water chemistry down.

I usually use about 2 gallons to dilute the boil. I am confused as to whether the chemistry is only for mashing and sparging or the full batch.

Thanks,
Barry

I looked at the wiki and there is only a stub under mini mashing.

I'll try to rephrase the question.

Do I treat mini mashing as all grain brewing or extract brewing?
I understand water chemistry, I just don't understand if the chemistry is ONLY for the mashing/sparging, or the whole amount of brewing liquor.

If it is treated as all grain then I have to treat all the water. If not, I only need to use treated water for the mash sparge portion of the brewing liquor.

The wiki is a great idea by the way. Maybe I haven't looked at it correctly to answer my needs.

Barry

All your water should be treated to remove chlorine/chloramine. Boiling will remove chlorine, and 1/4 campden tablet per 5 gallons will remove chloramine. A municipal water quality report will tell you which is used.

If you are worried about dissolved minerals and pH affecting the mash, then you can also treat your mash and sparge water. Don't worry about top-up water.

In all honesty, though, unless your water is really whacky, it will probably just fine for a PM, particularly if you are making an ale.

Here in the greater Phoenix area, we need to treat ALL our water. First thing, use reverse osmosis (RO) water, then add in the minerals that were removed.

I should note, the local water is so bad, you can literally smell a glass of it across the room!

steve

Thanks for the help. I have no problems with the darker brews. This light lager has always come out a little off flavored so this will be my first attempt to rectify the water chemistry.

We have extremely hard water here, and this is my first attempt to change the water chemistry.

At least we don't smell our water from across the room. I feel for the Phoenix boys and girls.

I have a batch without the adjustments aging, so it will make a good experiment.

Barry

Latest posts

Back